"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Brimfield find - a WE black 3502G

Started by recyklotron, May 22, 2013, 11:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Greetings,

My first WE3502G -  found last week at the Brimfield antiques market for $15. For those unfamiliar w/ Brimfield it is a 3X yearly event which takes over the entire town of Brimfield, Massachusetts.
  F1 handset w/ HA1 & F1 elements dating to 1955 & 49 respectively. The interior works are also from 1949 & the plastic body is from 2-'61. It is in good shape except for the fact that the line cord was chopped off & the handset cord has several reverses which I can't seem to rectify. It had dial tone but wouldn't ring - I attached temporary wiring to test it. The red ringer wire was originally attached to the GND terminal & following the Forum's wiring diagram for a 302, I moved it to L1 & now it works. It was actually really grimy - so much so that the cord looked gray. Here it is after cleaning & some Novus 2.

Happy hunting,

Jonathan

Mr. Bones

Jonathan,

Nice score, especially for the $! I have just one 5302, and it has the G handset. Still looking for a nice F-1 one, despite the fact they are more common. My day will come. Enjoy your nice 'new' toy, and thanks for sharing with us!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

LarryInMichigan

Jonathan,

That looks like a great find.  The handset cord can be corrected by coiling it around a dowel.  Let it sit in a very warm place for a while after coiling it around the dowel.  Then give it a few minutes in the freezer.

Larry

recyklotron

Thanks guys

I picked up a dowel and found Larry's old post on re-coiling. These are my results - 15 minutes in a 250 oven followed by 1 1/2 hours in the  freezer.
A 100% cosmetic improval, just not as 'springy' as one might expect!
  Thanks again,
                         Jonathan

Tom B

Nice result. I really am pleased with my 5302 fitted with an F1 handset. Time it got rotated back into service.
Tom

LarryInMichigan

If you want to make the cord tighter, reverse the direction of the coiling.

Larry

zaphod01

Nice find! Looks like it's in great shape. I have two 5302's and a 5304 (party line version).

You inspired me to buy a dowel and try to recoil a cord on a '52 TA236/FT Signal Corps phone. It's all matching dates. $5 on eBay. The wife suggested putting the dowel in the clothes dryer. There's a setting to heat but not spin. I'll give it a shot this afternoon.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

John S