"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cool Find....Color Sample...

Started by John S, June 21, 2013, 06:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello,

I thought this was a really cool item.  Bought it with some Bell system phones.  Its a color chart example.  There is a clear chart....you slide the color chips under the phone and it gives you an example on how the phone would look like. Its really cool.   

John

poplar1

Quote from: John S on June 21, 2013, 06:07:04 PM
Hello,

I thought this was a really cool item.  Bought it with some Bell system phones.  Its a color chart example.  There is a clear chart....you slide the color chips under the phone and it gives you an example on how the phone would look like. Its really cool.   

John

Can you post a picture?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

John S

I am having issues loading the pictures.  It keeps saying the page has timed out.  Anyone else having issues?  I will try again later......

John

WesternElectricBen

Have you refreshed the page? Or let your computers browser on for a long period of times?

That usually helps me..

Greg G.

Quote from: John S on June 21, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
I am having issues loading the pictures.  It keeps saying the page has timed out.  Anyone else having issues?  I will try again later......

John

Or your picture might be too large.  I usually reduce mine to 1/3 or 1/2 of the original size for posting here.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

For what it's worth, DavePEI made the suggestion some time ago in a photo related thread and I've found that what he suggested was what I was doing, resizing a photo so the maximum width or height of the photo is 1,000 pixels. That results in a photo that presents well on the forum (resizing the width to 1000 gave a height of 750 on this example) and is only about 490 KBytes in size in the jpg format.

John S

Here are some pics...I had to shrink the files....

TelePlay

That is very cool . . .  

I've never seen one of these before but many of the life long telephone guys on the forum may have.

Is the plastic yellowed with age as with many colored phones?

And, what's an Amanda 1-A that rates a $15 per month rental charge?

jsowers

The rate chart in the back probably means this was something a repairman took in his pocket to sell color phones to customers. The repair techs were used as a marketing tool since they were often in homes for one reason or another, so they were coached how to sell phone services. The Bell System also made small pocket notebooks illustrating all the different phones, colors and services.

I have no idea what Amanda was, but it was a tad expensive.  John, that's a great little color chip book and you should display it next to your phone display. From the color selection, I'd say it was from the late 50s or early 60s, before turquoise was added to the 500 line.
Jonathan

John S

Yes, I think its really cool....I bought it a estate sale.  I think he worked for the company.  I bought some other items from him, phone wise still new in the packaging....I think I will display/keep this item.

John

Mr. Bones

John,

Thanks for taking the time to send the photos. This is a really cool item, and I'm glad to be able to archive it. Probably never see another one in this lifetime.

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

John S

MagicMo

Quote from: TelePlay on June 22, 2013, 10:14:05 AM
That is very cool . . .  

I've never seen one of these before but many of the life long telephone guys on the forum may have.

Is the plastic yellowed with age as with many colored phones?

Leave Amanda alone. She works hard for her money!
Practice Kindness :)

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on June 22, 2013, 10:14:05 AM

Or the three items above Amanda? The ones above them are PBX manual terminal or PBX dial terminal I assume. The entire list is types of service, not types of phones. Maybe Illinois Bell had names for some service types. Amanda 1A could refer to 1A key stations as I think 1A key used a standard phone station with a wooden switch box so these colored 500 sets would qualify. That would also explain the pricey install cost.

What are the other items on the list John?

Bunt he way, AE made these color sample things for AE 80's also

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: MagicMo on June 29, 2013, 12:19:26 AMLeave Amanda alone. She works hard for her money!

Would that be Amanda Hugenkiz? :D