"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular Notch Tool

Started by DavePEI, August 08, 2012, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Here's what we need:

A mouse-hole tool.  A Handy dandy tool to un-notch those ubiquitous square mod notches in plastics and turn them back to the original mouse-hole style.

Wouldn't that be sweet.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 24, 2013, 01:17:07 PM
Here's what we need:

A mouse-hole tool.  A Handy dandy tool to un-notch those ubiquitous square mod notches in plastics and turn them back to the original mouse-hole style.

Wouldn't that be sweet.

But just think. You would have to have one in each color!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

I used to have the early notch tool and template, I used it to make 15-20 notches in a cracked 554 housing, the notch tool "crumbles out" the piece it notches.
Jim
Bill Wright told me the tool will split soft plastic and the best way to notch soft plastic is with side cutters.

DISCLAIMER: I personally don't beleive in notching any usable phone housing
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DavePEI

Quote from: Jim S. on May 24, 2013, 01:59:59 PM
DISCLAIMER: I personally don't beleive in notching any usable phone housing
Seriously, neither do I. If it was modular, leave it modular, but more important, if it wasn't modular, leave it non-modular.

However, I wanted this for the museum tool display - it does have a place there, as they were used by installers during the early modularization changeover days. Mine will never see plastic, unless I have a destroyed case to play with :o

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

"I was just sayin...."

I wasn't trying to tug at anyone's guilt strings.  What's been notched is notched, and yes, the tool and the practice are both parts of days gone by and are part of history.  That's what museums are all about.

More of where I was really coming from is that on more than one occasion, I have seen a nice 500 sitting on the shelf in an antique store, only to pick it up and see that it had been notched out at some point.  That totally takes the wind out of one's sails, and only makes me want to un-do what had been done.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 24, 2013, 02:21:45 PM
I wasn't trying to tug at anyone's guilt strings.  What's been notched is notched, and yes, the tool and the practice are both parts of days gone by and are part of history.  That's what museums are all about.
That reminds me - something I should have in the museum are a few mouse holes to show people how they would be used to undo modularization. Has anyone got a source for one or more of these neat little fillers?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Rokumoncat

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, I do not have any mouse holes around. But I do have a cat that I can loan to you to help you find one.  :D

Best,

R. Cat

Phonesrfun

They were probably all swept up off the floor of the room in the refurb shops that did the dasardly deed.  Not to mention all those residential installers who dutifully notched away on handset cord service calls, and who threw all those mouse holes away.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 24, 2013, 02:31:39 PM
They were probably all swept up off the floor of the room in the refurb shops that did the dasardly deed.  Not to mention all those residential installers who dutifully notched away on handset cord service calls, and who threw all those mouse holes away.
They actually did make mouse holes to fill modular notches. The only ones I have seen are gray plastic  and slide into the modular hole, closing it up to end up with a cord hole. But it was obvious that a modular hole had been closed, of course... Must look around and see if I can find a practice for them. I have only seen a few.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

I bought some mouse holes from Mary at phoneco. There is a "not a mousehole thread" regarding 1 of my searches for mouseholes.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DavePEI

Hi Pholks:

My Modular notching tool and template arrived this morning from Chuck Hensley! It is great. So now, you can send me all your rare colored phones, and I will notch them for you  ;D This one is made by the General Machine Products Co. (GMP)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave,

Congratulations on the addition to your tool display! It's just a shame that you got it a few days too late to help Finlover modernize that red 500, and get rid of the ugly gray cords. :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Can you terrorize my 1500D from 1968?

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on June 05, 2013, 05:49:03 PM
Dave,

Congratulations on the addition to your tool display! It's just a shame that you got it a few days to late to help Finlover modernize that red 500, and get rid of the ugly gray cords. :D

Best regards!
OMG - those ugly fat gray cords! Yuck! :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Looking at the plastic gauge piece, I can't really picture how to use it. We need pictures!

Terry