News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

S-C 1243 Wiring

Started by gands-antiques, May 08, 2012, 10:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Will someone please tell me which, if any of the 5 jumper straps are required to get a S-C 1243 working properly?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/stromberg-carlson_1243diagram_big.jpg

Thanks,
Gary

HowardPgh

I think you need them all except B for a dial type. (AE or SC dial)
Howard

gands-antiques

It's a S-C dial. Steve in AZ overhauled it for me. Do I still need to connect all of the straps except for Strap B if it's a S-C dial??

Thanks,
Gary

dsk

My network has a red stamp saying: 200595 B  This are similar to the diagram linked above. The straps used are:
L2-G  for bridged ringing.
C1-C2 For 1μF capacitor. (May not be needed, you have to try)
1-3 No strap, only used if no rotary dial.
5-6 and 7-8 and 11-12 and 10-13 are needed for the speech circuit.
But may be made different for very short loops in hence to reduse sidetone.
If you use a western electric dial who opens the receiver circuit instead of short it out straps would be configured different.
All this straps are used because the circuit should have lots of different ways to be configured.

More diagrams here: tinyurl.com/7z59yll

dsk

gands-antiques

Thank you...

Steve rebuilt the S-C dial and I've tried 3 networks all with the same number as your and I've wired all of them exactly like the diagram shows but no luck.  I'm guessing it must be the straps because I wouldn't think all 3 networks would be bad.  I tested the bells separately and they work fine.

Thanks,
Gary

dsk

Strange!

I have only one, and probably the only one in Norway ;D so I have not much to compare, but I'm impressed over the entire quality of the SC 1243.

A little depending on what you have for testing, and your experience it should be an easy job.  
The simplest way to do it is to have a headset with 2 wires to connect to different terminal, and of course a line with a dial tone. The headset could also be the handset or another telephone will due.

An ohmmeter would even be better.

etc

dsk

Phonesrfun

So, what's it doing or not doing?  Could it be the receiver or transmitter within the handset or the wiring of the hookswitch to the network or the cords having an open conductor?

-Bill G

gands-antiques

Bill,

It isn't doing anything. I haven't re-wired it and added the jumpers since I got the message today so I probably need to try all of that first. It has what I believe a good handset and I believe the hook is wired correct.

Thanks,
Gary

dsk

I love this :D
I have done some circuit analyses.

If your dial has mixed up the wires (colors) it may cause problems.

I'm quite sure its OK after the service, its 4 wires to mix up, so for testing don't connect it, just put in a strap between 1 and 3.

The straps 10-13 and 11-12 are not needed for the first tests. Those straps are needed to obtain anti sidetone.

The Strap 5-6 are used to make it easy to put in a Western Electric dial. As far as you don't use a WE dial you may connect the handset receiver cord (green) directly to 5.  

The strap 7-8 could also be skipped if all wires connected to 8 are moved to 7 (red Handset and after testing red dial)

You should get dial tone, and hear youselves.
If not, the hookswitch is the most likely error.
Try to move green from handset directly to 11, and listen again. (If it works now, its not needed to fix it) This hookswitch contact reduces loud clicks in the receiver when tapping on the hook.

If you still have no dial tone try to hold a wire shorting 2 and 7, If you get dial tone, the hookswitch has to be repaired.

If you still have no dial tone try to short 7 and 10. If this gives you dial tone the transmitter, or wire is broken and need to be repaired.

When all is repaired, put in strap 10-13 and 11-12 and the side tone reduction should be in place.

The dial should be connected with the wire from the pulse contact single contact (white) to 1 and the other (brown) to 3 (strap removed) The dial should work, but you are getting loud clicks in the receiver.

If it doesent work, the dial and wires may have an error, or just switched colors. try to figure out..
Next connect the red to 5 or 6 and test again. If it suddenly don't work, switch the 2 other wires and test again.
Connect the last to 7 or 8.

Good luck

dsk

gands-antiques

It's working!!

After rewiring 3 or 4 times the missing link was the strap between L2 and G. For some reason I hadn't caught the connection before but as soon as I added the strap everything started working.

Thanks a lot to the Forum and especially DSK for all of your fantastic help!!

Regards,
Gary

-------------------------------

* I will be listing several Stromberg Carlson 1243 items in the Rotary Phone Forum Classifieds Section....
  (Prices do not include shipping)

- 2 nice working S-C 1243's, ($65 each)
- A non-rotary dial 1243 phone without cords ($35)
- Several misc. 1243 parts....
 - 3 cases with hook switches (no dials) , 3 chassis and 2 networks ($10 each)
 - 2 handsets without cords ($20 each)
 - 1 handset (no cord) that is missing receiver element ($15)

Thanks again!!

poplar1

Gary, glad you got it working.
However, the strap from L2 to G is only to connect the ringer circuit  for non-party line subscribers. Unless you have dial tone going to L1 and G  instead of L1 and L2, I don't see how a strap from L2 to G would affect dial tone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Eventually I had obtained a dial tone and it would dial but it still wouldn't ring.
The L2 to G gave made the ringer work.

Thanks again

dsk

Glad to see it is solved.

dsk