News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebaY Seller - "Qaz-trader"

Started by Tonyrotary, May 23, 2009, 04:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

This seller has a lot of phones for sale on ebay. Most are 500's and 554's with a couple of trimlines thrown in. Some are modular, some are not. All look in good shape, though some of them have new plastics so that could be why.

Dan

I bought a Northern Electric NOS 554 turquoise shell, handset, dial ring, and cord (a kit) . I modified a WE 554 to fit it. This kit was BEAUTIFUL and I bet he now is putting new plastics on old phones. I would recommend him if you want a goodlooking phone, but not necessarily numbers matching.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Heck, numbers matching isn't always guaranteed with a factory telephone anyways.  I'd say only half of mine are full numbers-matching
- Tom

foots

Tom's right about that. My D1 was refurbed in 1951 and has different dates on several parts. To me this is ok since this is how it came from Bell and is in very good condition. I want to look this guy up to see if I can get a yellow 554.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

AET

I like having both examples.  It's nice to have ones that are you know, factory exact as they were new, but it's also nice to have ones that you can tell were lovingly used and that people wanted to keep using, so they had them repaired over the years.  Not that Ma Bell was just going to dole out a new phone or anything all willy-nilly however!
- Tom

Bill Cahill

I just received my phone today. See my post. I suspect it's left over new old stock. No wear, little dirt. Not a scratch on this sucker.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

Congrats!  Can't complain on a find like that!

Quote from: Bill Cahill on May 26, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
I just received my phone today. See my post. I suspect it's left over new old stock. No wear, little dirt. Not a scratch on this sucker.
Bill Cahill
- Tom

Jester

I received an Aqua Blue NE 554 color change kit this afternoon from qaz-trader.  Below are pics of the plastics assembled to a refurbished 554 base set (naked telephone) I recently acquired.  A few modifications I made are;
1)  I completely waxed & polished the plastic parts.
2)  The std. length handset cord was changed out for a 13.5' cord-- wall phones are more useful with these.
3)  I swapped handset caps with some extras I had.  I discovered that NE continued to use the six hole receiver cap long after WE went to the seven hole cap-- so this will help my '61 Aqua 500 appear older.  I also needed an undamaged transmitter cap for the same 500, so I elected to make it a matched set.
Stephen

McHeath

Love the aqua blue. 

AET

Not only do I like the phone/color.  I love the wallpaper!
- Tom

Jester

Thank you, A/E Tom.  I'd really like a turquoise 554 to put there, but I haven't found one yet.  I only hung the aqua up there long enough to take its picture.  I've been assembling things to sell on ebay this summer, & this aqua will be one that goes.  Who knows, maybe I'll get enough to buy a nice turquoise!! ;)
Stephen

Dan

-

Here's gaz's turquoise kit I mentioned earlier
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Thanks for reposting, Dan.  I remembered seeing that on here somewhere, but I couldn't remember where I saw it or who it belonged to.  I've been watching his listings for awhile & it appears he no longer has this color in NE! Ah, well.
Stephen

gpo706

I can't find a seller with this name on ebay (?)
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Jester

gpo 706,

It's misspelled.  Try searching for qaz-trader.
Stephen