News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What new topics/articles would you like to see???

Started by TIPandRING, January 10, 2009, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIPandRING

I got good feedback on the Part 1 tutorial of phone wiring so I think I may do some more.

So what topics do you guys need help on??

Here's some ideas I've been knocking around...

Color codes used in station wires...For example how many know what the blue wire w/ the white stripes in a CAT-5 cable is equivalent to in an old 4 conductor red/green/yellow/black station wire?

Making light-up phones illuminate once again...For example how many know how to wire a StarLite Phone vs. a Princess Phone to make the dials light up?

Things you may encounter in an old house...How to update/re-wire or add phones to existing floor pans

Things to think about in a new house...planning for the future and pre-wire recommendations

Plastic, colored phone restorations...sanding tips and tricks...polishing and color restoration

Phone internals...how to troubleshoot, re-wire or update...

Chemicals and hardware...what to use to lubricate and clean various parts.

Just some thoughts....

Dan

The color code topic is something I want, becuase my mom has a wall phone "hole" in her basement and I need to put a phone there. It has the thin multicolored wires (huge bundles!) and all I know is yellow, green, red , and black and how to work with these.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Chemicals and hardware would be great.   It would be nice to have a good list for cleaning and lubing, as well as a list of basic tools for phone work. :)

mienaichizu

looks like you knew a lot of topics there that is interesting

Konrad

Troubleshooting Dead Phone
Troubleshooting Dead Ringer

Thanks

Steve

All those sound great!

I would be interested in the old vs. new wiring colors. red and green are gone it seems. if one were to go to home depot and pick up wire to run an extension phone, what would be the colors to use? crimping tips? good vs. bad connection blocks?

I would like if someone did an easy to understand guide to 500 network wiring too.

Thanks for your help, and taking the time to explain things to us.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Bill Cahill

And, I'd like simple instructions on how to add wiring to existing lines, so I can add more phones. Alot of my old lines were disconnected due to shorting out.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."