News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SuperSer Butane (LPG) gas heater...

Started by twocvbloke, November 05, 2017, 06:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I think this goes a touch beyond the definition of "similar items", but, it's a reasonably vintage piece of heating technology... ;D

Anyway, in exchange for some electrical work in the Uncle's house (replacing some light fittings and upgrading some them to LED), I've purloined his unused SuperSer gas heater, which, as the title implies, runs on Butane, or LPG, or whatever name you give it locally... :)

I think it's of 70s or 80s origin, can't be sure as I've yet to find any dates on it, but as is, it's in decent shape, couple broken wheels, but they're not much of an issue, could do with a new gas hose as it's feeling "sticky" (plasticisers leaching out, not good for gas hoses!), and a couple dents here and there, but, it works... :)

Got some heat out of it with the dregs of what was left in the gas bottle for about 5 minutes, forgot to snap a pic of that, but once I get the hose replaced and a new gas bottle in, I'll snap more pics of it in action, probably even making a short video of it... :)

Anyway, enough waffle, here's a pic, and yes, it does almost match the washing machine colour-wise... ;D

dsk

;D I like it I guess we have something equal at our cabin, with a LPG bottle, pressure regulator and hose, and the tell us to change hose every 2 years, and pressure regulator every 5 years.

Definitely no need for changing that often, if the hose gets sticky, or shows cracks when bent, it is time for renewal. Somtimes they last for 15 years! Regulators, test them observe them, 25 years indoors is no problem!

The gas leakage detector.. looks kinda smoke alarm are getting less and less sensible for gas, so I change it ever 5-7 years after an annual test with en unlit lighter.

So far, I'm still alive... At least it feels that way. ;)

dsk

twocvbloke

I grew up with Butane heaters like this SuperSer, many different brands out there, but they're often just referred to as "Calor Gas heaters" over here (Calor being the leading supplier of LPG such as Propane and Butane), but the SuperSer is fitted with a FloGas 20mm easy-on regulator as opposed to the Calor standard of 21mm, could change it for a 21mm, but FloGas (a competing supplier) sell gas much more cheaply than Calor... :)

As for the safety of them, as long as you don't smell gas, the heater doesn't burn with an orange flame, and the gas hose is of course in good condition, they'll keep you warm and safe for years... :)

Found an identical one (in slightly better condition) for sale on ebay, so borrowing pictures from that one just to show what it looks like...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122785217890