News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pink WEco 500 Shell Date and Phone Restoration

Started by Slal, November 17, 2016, 11:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks really nice! The dye should reach as deep as the bleached section does.

BTW, being completely off-topic, the dye makes it look like you had an Exacto knife incident in the 3rd picture... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

I have heard rumours of bell experimenting with dyeing light color housings. I don't know if they are true, and if the practice was ever widespread.  I think it would be hard to stay color consistant on a batch of phones.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on November 28, 2016, 07:11:36 PM
OK, if our Global Moderator has posted, will take it as a green light to post here & not clutter the other forum.  :)  (And thanks BTW)

Looked for a few places to post my cord dying results and decided to put it into this topic as a reply to your question on the technique.

Since you are going forward with full restoration, it is best to put all work done in one topic rather than in multiple topics of the same phone and look forward to your work and results, including lots of photos.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on November 28, 2016, 07:27:16 PM
I have heard rumours of bell experimenting with dyeing light color housings. I don't know if they are true, and if the practice was ever widespread.  I think it would be hard to stay color consistant on a batch of phones.

I would agree with the consistency issue, even on just one phone. There are several factors that would allow penetration of the dye carried by a solvent into all areas of the plastic part being dyed - time, concentrations and mixing. Just a spec of oil or dirt on the surface or a difference in plastic composition (hardness or density, etc) would affect the amount of dye being soaked up by the plastic. Lighter colors would show the "splotches" more than dark colors. And, yes, from one batch to another may result in different shades. One heck of a quality control issue in the process.

There was a topic by suhoni56 about two years ago that addressed soaked in magic marker. It's a good example of how permanent marker fluids such as Dykem can penetrate the plastic, not just sit on the surface. As such, plastic "could" be dyed but the results might resemble a tie dyed T-shirt. So, plastic seems capable of being dyed.

Worth trying on a junk piece of plastic, if someone has both the dye and plastic.

Slal

Better update this quickly before someone looks at the pictures & and starts dunking *useful* pink phones.

Not a reliable method.  Yet.

I chose the cap you'd hold to your ear on purpose.  Don't want red dye on one's ear, or hand from handset for that matter!

So...

Wiped it down this morning with CDA & most of the dye came off.  Some *did* remain, but probably not a reliable way to restore color.   

c'est la vie

Did find some confirmation about using MEK to loosen it up.  Be interesting to see-- weather permitting.  : )

https://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Slal

Thanks.  Forget when I joined, but think you're the only one who noticed 'Nipper' in avatar.  Free phone to anyone who can guess was "Slal" stands for.  ; )

@WEBellSystemChristian

X-Acto knife accidents & blood sacrifice optional...  ; )

Back to topic though...

Looks like I'm in for quite a bit of work sanding.

Final question as wrap things up then.

Diluted bleach seems counter-intuitive, but results pretty amazing.  Was actually warm, and quite a bit of crud came off xmtr cap.  Might save me some time & hopefully preserve imprints.  What's going on here though?  It's taking damaged plastic or 'rust' (for lack of chemical term) off?

Thanks for replies & happy holidays

--Bruce

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on November 30, 2016, 02:24:31 PM
What's going on here though?  It's taking damaged plastic or 'rust' (for lack of chemical term) off?

In short it's chemically reversing chemical properties, the molecular pi bonding characteristic of a specific plastic mixture, in plastic (that aspect of the outer layer of plastic which selectively absorbs and reflects parts of full spectrum light to produce a desired color) previously changed from age, cleaners, environment, temperature and UV radiation that is part of sunlight (any or all combination of those plus others) turning the plastic color darker than original. Bleach, peroxide and retrobrite lighten some plastic colors. You are not taking anything off of the plastic, just changing its reflective properties.

In sunlight, when almost all light is absorbed, nothing reflected, the plastic appears black. When all light is reflected, very little if any absorbed, the plastic appears white. That's why black heats up in sun light while white stays cooler.

It seems only sanding will get rid of a lightened, bleached out plastic color and get it back to it original darker color. In that case, you are removing layers of bleached plastic to get down to the original, undamaged plastic and it's original deeper or darker color.

Slal

Thanks for reply.  Much of that a bit over my head, but I did ask.  ; )

A quick update, and I hope, one last question.

Still concerned about sanding out imprints, so might be grasping at straws here.

Ordered one of those NOVUS 1,2,3 cleaning kits.  Will be useful on other things, but...

...Using #2 or 3 on this phone an option, or just throwing good money after bad?

At some point, I might just have to chalk this one up to experience, but seems a shame to just give up on it.

thanks

--Bruce