News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

More Phones from Ebay

Started by wds, October 03, 2011, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I told myself that after my last acquisition, the Federal Candlestick, that I was going to give my checkbook a rest.  That lasted about a day.  Some deals came up that I couldn't pass up.  The first is an American Electric candlestick - I had to remove 4 layers of paint, but it cleaned up real nice.  Everything seems original, and all the screws were there.  The only thing odd was the transmitter.  Has anyone seen one like this?  AE spared no expense on this transmitter - $41 with shipping.  

Then I picked up a SC receiver, with a really nice cord.  Excellent condition, and it works.  $22 with Shipping.  From the same seller I got this D1/E1 for $29 incl. s/h.  Other than a few chips around the cradle, the paint looks like new.  I dropped in a 4H from my inventory to make it complete.  Last, I picked up a Kellogg 900 for $41 incl. s/h.  It's complete with the coil, cond. and ringer.  No chips, cracks, and even the handset is crack free.  Didn't need it, but for that price, why not.  The last 900 I purchased cost me a hundred clams.

Ok, starting now, no purchases for two weeks.............
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I don't know how you keep finding these things.  You must have some inside connections at ebay.

Larry

rdelius

I think your transmitter is missing the thin brass cover.It should be marked.
Robby

wds

I never thought of that.  I looked at my other candlestick transmitters, and they seem to all be one piece.  I don't have another American Electric to compare to. 
Dave

ntophones

How great! I hope to snag a Kellog someday! Those are beauties, too!
Congrats!
ntophones
--nto

wds

I always wondered what that screw was for, thats under the mouthpiece.  Is it there to hold the faceplate on to the transmitter?
Dave

rdelius

Yes that hole is for the screw to hold the brass cover over the transmitter.
Robby

wds

I guess Am. Elect. found a way to save a penny making the transmitter.  The only thing missing is the "Made in China" sticker.  I think I'll leave the transmitter the way it is to show how some manufacturers cut corners.
Dave

GG

I'd bet that the separate cover wasn't in order to be cheap or cut corners, but in order to facilitate having black ones, chrome ones, and so on, and enable the telco to replace the covers when reconditioning the telephones, and then get the covers repainted later without having to disassemble the entire transmitters.  If that's so, then IMHO it's a clever solution.   

Keep in mind that these things were not sold to the public, but to telcos that thought in terms of 40-year investment time lines and didn't pinch pennies on stuff they would have to keep in operation for decades. 

wds

Some of the manufacturers built their phones to last, but I question the quality and intentions of this one.  All steel, and clearly a knock off of the other brands, mainly WE.  Reminds me of when Asia was making duplicates of anything they could get their hands on.  Still a nice phone for the collection.
Dave