"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever see this handset cord on a 302?

Started by KeithB, September 25, 2010, 07:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

<Link to Auction Item 220671225026>

This appears to be a 98% original 1946 WE302, but that handset cord is something else.  Ever see one like it?

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Keith, I have seen those before.  I think it's a covering that fits over the cord.  If it's what I'm thinking of it is a springy like material that winds around the cord to protect it.  I don't remember if I saw on at a phone show or an on a phone at an antique shop....I'm sure one of the other members may be able to elaborate more.

Wallphone

That should come right off like a flat plastic coil spring would. If it did it's job you might find a nice cord under it.
Dougpav

Kenny C

the dial is a 5H but look at that handset  :(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

I have had a couple like that from e-bay purchases.

I believe they were a non-Bell sanctioned third party add on that kept the straight cords from kinking.  So, to answer the question, yes, these are out there, but not all that common.
-Bill G

KeithB

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on September 25, 2010, 12:27:28 PM
the dial is a 5H but look at that handset  :(
Yup, the fillers in the Bakelite are definitely blistering out all over the handset.  FYI, the salvage F1 handsets sold by Steve Hilsz are definitely in very good condition, quite polished.  At least the two I recently ordered from him were absolutely beautiful.

bingster

Out of curiosity, what does Steve Hilsz charge for an F1?
= DARRIN =

KeithB

Sargeguy

I have a couple of those that I pulled off 302s.  They are one long tightly wound coil of plastic.  A bit tedious to unwrap when they are stiff.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409