News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess Lamp Specs.

Started by Babybearjs, February 13, 2016, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I have found the paperwork for the 700 series phones, but cannot find the lamp number other the #46 Bulb E10 base lamp. this was used in the early sets and was changed to a wedge base bulbs later on. Does anyone know the bulb number? OPW doesn't show the specs. the lamps used in the later models were a 3.25 wedge base lamp... is there any BSP showing the bulb specs for these phones?
John

JimH

I don't have the BSP, but I have some original bulbs in my Princess phones and they are a GE 259.  Hope this helps.

I copied some specs I found online for that bulb:

Voltage: 6.3V, 6.3 Volt Volts
Wattage: 1.575W, 1.575 Watt
Filament: C-2R
Maximum Overall Length: 1.06"/26.9mm
Maximum Overall Diameter: .40"/10.2mm
Average Rated Life: 5000 Hours
Bulb: T-3 1/4
Base: Miniature Wedge Base
Light Center Length: .65"/16.5mm
Amperage: .25A, 250mA
MSCP: .65
Jim H.

zaphod01

I work for NAPA Auto Parts and was able to find Wagner, part number 259 at my local store.

These were used for dashboard illumination on older model 6 volt automobiles. Not all stores carry this item in stock. Not a lot of call for them. Worked great in the Princess I reworked for the wife's office.

IM me and I'll mail you a couple for free. I may have an LED version, too. Tried them and too bright.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

unbeldi

Looking for these?

Ktownphoneco

John   .....  I'm not sure if your looking for bayonet base or threaded base bulbs, but if it's the latter, this may be of interest.     Radio Daze online web site carries old lamps for antique radios.      I've dealt with this company quite a few times, and they're very reliable and prompt with shipping.   
This link will take you directly to their web page dealing with small threaded base lamps, and specifically the threaded base 6.3 Volt .25 amp., 1.57 Watt lamp.      A package of 10 bulbs sells for the outrageous price of $3.35.

Long link :   http://www.radiodaze.com/46-lamp-10-pack-item-dl-46-10/

Short link :    http://bit.ly/1mAuCHo

Jeff Lamb

jsowers

The 259 lamp is wedge-based, as Jim's specs say and Unbeldi's picture shows. Very similar to the old 194 lamp used in the side marker lights and dash lights of cars from the late 1960s and 70s, but that one is 12V.

My first experience with 259 lamps was in the dial lights for my family's first color TV, a 21" GE from 1969. It's still in my living room, but I don't use it much any more. The dial lights still work well and you need the light because it's blacked out when the TV is off.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Aah..."Snow" in Colour! Thanks for the picture Jonathan. Where do you see (and hear) "snow" these days? Other than on old TV sets it seems to be a lost artifact.

I am deaf in my right ear...not hard of hearing deaf but 100% deaf. I wasn't always, it arrived with the removal if a tumour in 2001. A piece if my acoustic nerve had to removed. Everything from my right ear isn't silent though. I have a constant hissing noise from the "open" in my accoustic nerve. I describe it to people as being similar to the static on a TV when there is snow on the screen. Problem is that much like using a rotary phone, younger people probably dont know what snow and the accompanying noise on a TV is these days.

As for the 194 bulb for cars, i recently needed an oronge coloured one for a sidemarker in our 2005 Acura EL. (Really a Honda Civic, the Acura EL was only made for the Canadian market). I finally remember about it as I noticed a car parts place beside a store I has stopped at. When i found the right bulb (always in a 2 pack) for $12 something I just thought that these HAVE to be available for less than that. If all else fails probably 99c with free shipping from China on eBay. So, I passed on them and next day another auto parts store $2.69 for the 2 pack though made by an almost unheard of name....GE....and made in the Netherlands I think it was. Very surprising!

Terry

Babybearjs

Thank you for the info.... I could not remember what the number was for the princess phones. now, all I need to find is a 12 volt equivalent to the 259. the 194 is 14.4 volt.and I found a bulb ansi #280 that is rated at 10 volts. once I get the phones, I'll be able to play with the unit and see how I can get the phones to work on my 1A1 system with the L1 busy lamp. wonder how to get the hold feature to work on these?
John

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 14, 2016, 01:11:21 PM
Aah..."Snow" in Colour! Thanks for the picture Jonathan. Where do you see (and hear) "snow" these days? Other than on old TV sets it seems to be a lost artifact.

As for the 194 bulb for cars, i recently needed an oronge coloured one for a sidemarker in our 2005 Acura EL. (Really a Honda Civic, the Acura EL was only made for the Canadian market). I finally remember about it as I noticed a car parts place beside a store I has stopped at. When i found the right bulb (always in a 2 pack) for $12 something I just thought that these HAVE to be available for less than that. If all else fails probably 99c with free shipping from China on eBay. So, I passed on them and next day another auto parts store $2.69 for the 2 pack though made by an almost unheard of name....GE....and made in the Netherlands I think it was. Very surprising!

My first car, a 1969 Olds Delta 88, used a 194A lamp for the side marker in the front. The amber color version of a 194. I always thought they were neat. From 1970 on they just used boring clear lamps in colored lenses. Yes, it wasn't an easy lamp to find.

Terry, as far as seeing snow, we're set for some outside tonight in NC, but only an inch or two. But I know what you mean.

John, the 194 ought to work OK with 12 volts. It worked fine in cars.
Jonathan

Babybearjs

Jonathan, thanks for the info, the 194 can work, but it is rated at 14.4 volts. I used them in Low voltage landscape lighting and they work OK nut not bright enough... at 10 volts even less... so once I get the phones I'll have to see what happens... there is a resistor inline with the bulb... if I put 10 volts through it, the #259 bulb should still work out, if not then I'll try a bulb rated at 12.8 volts. The #51A lamps that are on the 564 phones can handle 12 volts, so maybe with a resistor inline the 259 bulb can handle 10 volts... the main thing is the brightness, longevity and heat from the bulb... some lamps are rated at only 250 burning hours, where others are rated at 3000. I'll just have to see how this all works out.... I will post pictures...
John

Jim Stettler

If you supply a voltage less than rated the lamp life is greatly extended.  There is a formula for determining the extended lamp life. You can probably find the formula in an Uglys manual. The 15 year incandescent lamps from "lighthouse for the blind" are 130 volt bulbs.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

I don't mind changing bulbs... god know I have enough of them.... just trying to find a good match for the phone... I got the phone today, and cleaned it up... put the 10 volt circuit through the bulb and it works OK. tested it with and without the resistor... seems I wont have to change the lamp after all.... even at 10 volts the bulb burns OK... I can use the nightlight switch as a Hi-Lo switch across the resistor...  and since the bulb won't be on very long.... it looks like it won't hurt it.... I might even put a colored light in the phone....
John