News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Crosstalk Issues

Started by Babybearjs, December 13, 2016, 09:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK, heres my problem.... yesterday I was in the kitchen and my phone "Dinged" once, then again a few moments later. I picked up the phone and it was a incoming call. the caller stated that when they dialed the number, it rang and then disconnected.... so after my call, I went into my utility closet and checked things....the cable modem was flashing.... all the lights were blinking... so, because this tells me that there is a fault... I reset the modem.... it did it again.... so I unplugged the phone line.... reset the modem and the unit booted up with no problem....until I plugged the phone line back in.... the fault was with line 2... Hmmmm wonder whats wrong? I picked up line 2 on one of my phones and it was dead....a short? couldn't be.... everything was running fine earlier. so I disconnected the line 2 leads and parked them on some spare terminals for the time being.... took out my toner, and attached it to the line 2 input... picked up the line and everything was fine...switched over to line 1 and got crosstalk.... I could hear the toner along with the dial tone... Now what??? where would the problem be?? the wiring? a phone set?    Has anyone ever run into this issue with multi line phones? any idea of where to start? I'm at a loss when everything seems to test fine... help....help... help.... 
John

markosjal

look for a phone with a yellow (ground wire) on the line cord or in the set itself that could be tied to red or green (L1 or L2) . some phones were 3 conductor even at a modular plug which connected to one side of the line. No harm done on single lines but two lines on a singe jack it will tie one side of the second line to the first line
'

test by disconnecting all phones first
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Babybearjs

well, the problem has been isolated. Inside wiring issues. Cable One said they're system was detecting stray voltage. so, for now the system is down. I have a single line phone plugged directly into the cable modem. I wave had snow here and as has happened before, moisture issues. once the weather warms up, I'll have to completely troubleshoot the system....for anyone who has VOIP phone service.... the modem shows a fault by all the LEDs simutainiously flashing which indicates a problem... with me, it was line 2 to start with....  like always, if its not one thing, its another..... so for now.... my phone network is down.... so much for answering the phone by my bed....
John