News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 80 Identification & Dial Cleaning

Started by mblythe, October 20, 2017, 01:09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mblythe

Hi, I picked up what I think is a 500 80 series telephone. It's a beautiful red phone by Automatic Electric. It works fine, though the dial is sluggish and needs cleaning. As I looked at how to get into the dial, I noticed that it's oriented differently than any 500 series I've seen before. The 0 is down at the bottom of the dial, and I haven't found another like this via an hour or so of Googling.

So, two questions:

1) What model is this phone? Unfortunately, GTE at some point stuck an inspection sticker right over the stamped numbers on the bottom. I may need to remove this.

2) How do I get into the dial to clean / oil it?

Photos attached, thanks!

TelePlay

Quote from: mblythe on October 20, 2017, 01:09:18 AM
1) What model is this phone? Unfortunately, GTE at some point stuck an inspection sticker right over the stamped numbers on the bottom. I may need to remove this.

2) How do I get into the dial to clean / oil it?

Photos attached, thanks!

It's an Automatic Electric phone/dial.

With the housing removed, there should be a metal stand on each side of the bottom of the dial with a screw near the dial. Loosen the screws, one on each side, and lift the dial off.

You can disconnect the wires from the network making sure to take note of which wire came from what terminal.

Then there should be a screw holding the finger stop to the dial. Loosen the screw and pull out the finger stop.

Then, the finger wheel comes off by removing the center screw.

At that point, the bezel, the red plastic with the numbers, can be removed. I am not sure how it is attached so posting pictures of that once the finger wheel is removed will help. There are a few ways this are attached and I'm not that up on AE dials. Others can help you at this point.

What do you mean by cleaning? The stripped down dial can then be cleaned ultrasonically, dried and oiled or if not real dirty can be cleaned using non-lubricating tuner cleaner and compressed air. There may be a plastic cover on the back of the dial protecting the governor and that should be removed before cleaning.

More pictures as you take it apart will help others more familiar with AE phones help you work with the dial.

mblythe

Thanks, TelePlay. By cleaning, I just mean that the dial is sluggish, so I assume it needs cleaning and possibly oiling. I did remove the two screws on the front edge of the dial bracket, but wasn't able to get any further. I could see at the back of the bracket, it had a large "tooth" that slid into a slot, but I didn't manage to slide it free. I'll try again.

I'll post some more photos once I have it out.

mblythe

BTW, does it seem strange that the 0 is at the bottom of the dial? Seems like the bottom is usually somewhere between 8 & 9.

TelePlay

Quote from: mblythe on October 20, 2017, 02:19:28 AM
BTW, does it seem strange that the 0 is at the bottom of the dial? Seems like the bottom is usually somewhere between 8 & 9.

No, that's the patent difference between WE and AE. Had to be a bit different to avoid a patent fight. Same with the back of the dial and all the parts. Nothing just like a WE dial except the numbers themselves. Also, different handset, ringer, network, base plate, etc.

Sluggish is a combination of dust collecting on lubricant and hardening over time. Radio and TV tuner can melt if out, lot of topics on dial cleaning using that stuff on the forum. Search for tuner cleaner.

Post pictures of what you have, I can't picture the "tooth" unless you mean the finger stop.

LarryInMichigan

That phone is an Automatic Electric type 80 (AE80).  Red is one of the less common colors.  I often have success improving dial operation by giving the back side (gears, etc.) a good spraying with electrical contact cleaner followed by a light oiling.  If that doesn't work, I dismantle and clean the dial.

Larry

jsowers

Our AE80 like this one, all you did to release the dial was push down on the dial, from the top, and slide it down toward the base. I think that's the "tooth" the poster is describing. It's spring-loaded and there's a "tooth" on both sides to lock the dial into place and a metal hook on the dial that clamps onto the tooth.

To replace it, you just reverse the operation. Press down and push up to lock. No screws need to be removed other than taking the outside housing off. You can leave the fingerwheel, the fingerstop and the dial face on if you like. The whole thing comes off as a unit. Kind of an early version of a quick disconnect, but of course the wires remain connected and they're long enough so you can turn it around to clean it with contact cleaner. It doesn't take a lot of cleaner to clean it.

It's also possible you push it down and then slide up to remove rather than down toward the base. It's been some time since I worked on one. Look at the side and you'll be able to tell how it comes off.

AE didn't have a cover over their dial mechanism in the AE40s and early AE80 models. So quite a lot of dust could accumulate over the years and the cleaner helps get rid of that.

For the record, this phone isn't called a 500. It's an AE80. Just wanted to be sure we are all on the same page.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on October 20, 2017, 02:17:35 PM
Our AE80 like this one, all you did to release the dial was push down on the dial, from the top, and slide it down toward the base. I think that's the "tooth" the poster is describing. It's spring-loaded and there's a "tooth" on both sides to lock the dial into place and a metal hook on the dial that clamps onto the tooth.

Thanks for clarifying that. I've never had an AE80 so was making generalizations to get mblythe thinking and/or working on the dial in the middle of the night.

Didn't know about that disconnect feature.

mblythe

Thanks for the education, everybody! I didn't realize AE's take on the 500 had a different name, but it makes sense. Glad to know what this one is really called.

jsowers: your tip on the dial quick release was right on the money! I was able to just slide it right out, once I knew where to press. I would never have spotted that on my own.

Now to clean and lubricate... I'll report back on progress.

mblythe

Hooray, some contact cleaner has the dial moving smoothly again.  Thanks everybody for the info and the tips.