and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger 11 Digit

Started by DavePEI, September 25, 2011, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: teka-bb on October 13, 2011, 02:59:50 PM

Were you able to create a button?

Ok, the rod of Garolite arrived this morning. I did one test button to try to familiarize myself on how the stuff would machine, and it isn't too bad. For each button, it takes about an inch and a half of Garolite. I should be able to get enough out of one rod to make a few for Terry, and a couple for Remco. Then, we will see if I will make more.

This one is just a test - as I do more, the quality will improve. I will try to do a few more this weekend, as I have something to mail Terry next week, and might as well make sure his are included in the package.

The color of these are the native color of the Garolite - they can be painted with black lacquer if one chooses. Depending on your phone, the metal button faceplate on the phone having to be drilled out to the next size up.  

The button installs large side in, with it held by the contact of the phone ring switch or spring contact to give it its button action. If there is a ring switch in the phone, it will work like the original button.

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Time to set up your own business manufacturing these Dave!

You can call it "Really Old Phone Works"!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 20, 2011, 03:30:48 PM
Time to set up your own business manufacturing these Dave!

You can call it "Really Old Phone Works"!

Terry
Hi Terry:

Well, we will see after I get through this bunch! :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi All:

I managed to get a good close-up of the outside and the interior portion of the ring switch in my 11 digit with my home made repro button installed. Sadly, this switch has been removed from most existing 11 digit phones, so this might guide you resourceful ones in making one with parts salvaged from another phone.

Note: The bottom contact shorts to the middle contact when at rest. The middle breaks from the bottom one, and shorts to the top contact when the button is depressed.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Hi Dave:

Great picture, that will help come up with something close to what is needed.

I have always wondered what the little "window" cut into the steel finger stop was for. It seems like a place for a number card but of course there is a place on the dial number card for your pone number. Seeing your button installed there now makes me think that there was probably a little designation there saying either "Ring" or maybe "Press (or Push) to Ring". One of the big time collectors/restorers must have researched that and have put what was supposed to be in that little window. Since the CO's were quickly modified for "Automatic Ringing" these buttons, contact sets and designations were removed by the Telco while the phones were still in service.

Terry

wrangler64

I'm new to this game and not sure if this is the right place but I will try it anyways. I am currently restoring a Strowger 11 digit wall phone. The phone belonged to my in laws so I want to restore/ clean up and display in my home. It is in fairly good shape except for the finger stop and the dialer plate. What I want to know is if there is some way to restore this or re nickel it or leave it original? Also I'm pretty sure the receiver isn't original since it says northern electric on it. This phone also has the battery pack that was attached to the bottom of the phone. I haven't seen any pictures online that shows the battery. Not sure I want to put battery box back on since I have no clue if the stuff inside it is toxic after all those years. Now the second phone I snaffled from my in laws is an old wooden northern electric phone that weighs a ton. The metal piece that bolts to the phone and connects to mouth piece is metal with a black finish. Some of that finish is coming off. Should I repaint it or leave as is? I appreciate any help you can provide me as this is the first time I have done any of this.

AE_Collector

I would get the chrome redone if it is not in good condition. Dennis Halworth ("Dencins" here on the forum) will re-chrome all the metal for you for a very reasonable price.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4743.0

Terry

southernphoneman

Quote from: wrangler64 on April 07, 2013, 12:14:25 AM
I'm new to this game and not sure if this is the right place but I will try it anyways. I am currently restoring a Strowger 11 digit wall phone. The phone belonged to my in laws so I want to restore/ clean up and display in my home. It is in fairly good shape except for the finger stop and the dialer plate. What I want to know is if there is some way to restore this or re nickel it or leave it original? Also I'm pretty sure the receiver isn't original since it says northern electric on it. This phone also has the battery pack that was attached to the bottom of the phone. I haven't seen any pictures online that shows the battery. Not sure I want to put battery box back on since I have no clue if the stuff inside it is toxic after all those years. Now the second phone I snaffled from my in laws is an old wooden northern electric phone that weighs a ton. The metal piece that bolts to the phone and connects to mouth piece is metal with a black finish. Some of that finish is coming off. Should I repaint it or leave as is? I appreciate any help you can provide me as this is the first time I have done any of this.
if you are looking for help with repairing and/or restoring vintage phones then this is the place to be. this forum has plenty of experience members with a vast variety of knowledge. there are enough of us that if one person doesn t know something another might.... welcome aboard by the way..

wrangler64

Thanks for the welcomes. If I have the parts re chromed does it effect the value of the phones. You hear all the time that you should leave them original. Also the finger hole dialer is not very heavy what kind of material would that be on the strowger, did they have pot metal back then ?

AE_Collector

The finger wheel would be stamped out of steel or brass, I haven't checked to see which metal. Do you have a magnet handy?

My thoughts are that re-plating rusted metal wouldn't diminish the value on a Strowger Phone and in all refinishing scenarios it is a judgement call depending on how bad the condition is. 

Terry

poplar1

Someone else can say for sure, but you probably want it nickel plated, not chrome.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Wrangler64 used the term re-nickel and I turned it into Chrome in my comment which I tend to call anything that is shiney!

Terry

wrangler64

The only thing a magnet sticks to is the finger stop, all the other pieces including bells, finger dial and receiver hook are made out of something else. So do i chrome them, nickel them or what. The bells shined up pretty nice but I'm thinking if I redo the others then the bells and mouth piece might look dull. What do you guys/ gals think. The phone didn't cost me anything so I can afford to spend a little on it. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here I'll try to do that.

HarrySmith

Hi Wrangler and welcome to the forum ;D
Before I get into your Strowger I need to warn you. Phonitis is a progressive, incurable disease that infects all who dwell here. Save yourself and leave now ;) You will soon be wanting a Strowger stick to go with the wall model or maybe another wood wall phone to go with the NE! Then you will be spending all your time and money on old phones and you will need more room to store and display them all! Trust me, I speak from experience and you can browse the threads here to see how many others are infected :o
Seriously, that Strowger is a keeper, I would love to have one! As far as refinishing that would be up to you. I like all the phones I sell or display to look as nice as possible. I can vouch for Dennis and his nickling, he has done a few projects for me and I am about to send him another, his work is outstanding. As is said, it is only original once but if my eyes are drawn to that defect I can correct than I am going to go for it.
We are all looking forward to some pictures!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector