"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Booth Destroyed

Started by tallguy58, June 21, 2016, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

From the nut-job file:

A phone booth was destroyed at Main and Gerrard streets on Tuesday morning, and Toronto police confirm an axe was found nearby.
It is currently being investigated as a mischief call.
Police told CityNews they cannot confirm if the axe is somehow connected to the phone booth.
Blood was seen in the area and police are still looking for an injured person.
So far, they have not found a suspect, or a victim.

Photos from the scene are below.
Cheers........Bill

AE_Collector

And with that, in all likelihood there won't be a booth or a Payphone in that location a few days from now. When I did coin maintenance initially we could repair and replace parts and pieces without any fear of everything being removed but as vandalism increased before long we had to call the coin department for a decision on each location if anything other than routine repairs were needed. It was frustrating to see the only public phone in the area removed due to one person seriously vandalizing it. It was frustrating to see your job being removed one phone at a time as well.

That is/was a Jaro 800 booth, in my humble opinion one of the nicest looking full booths ever made. We used them here in BC Canada with dark blue (BC Tel) and then later (TELUS) purple panels around the bottom where as this one had clear panels top and bottom.

Here is a story from last year about someone plowing through a Jaro 800 booth in Coalmont BC in an attempt to run down the person who was in the booth talking on the phone. This was the only outdoor unlicensed phone left in the community of about 100 people. In the end a Card Phone was installed on the outside of the towns exchange trailer a hundred feet or so from the location of the flattened booth.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coalmont-b-c-loses-its-only-public-phone-to-bizarre-feud-1.3056423

Picture: Destroyed Jaro 800 booth in Coalmont

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: tallguy58 on June 21, 2016, 02:49:56 PM
Photos from the scene are below.

And thanks to Google maps, the booth in better days.

I own a Jaro 800-S. In need of some repairs. I need the light casing and fixture. The one in Toronto would be great for the parts I need.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14836.0

AE_Collector

Cdn Doug: What part do you need other than the actual light fixture? In the picture that I posted you can see the frame for the light diffuser panel, it is touching the yellow police tape. A thin square aluminum frame that has a flat opaque plastic panel in it. This assembly forms the entire ceiling of the booth. Grab your security screw driver and head to Toronto! You should be able to get the light fixture as well, it just unplugs from the AC outlet in the "attic".

Most of our 800 booths had dual HO (High Output) fluorescent tubes in a single fixture but later versions came with a single bulb, something like a high pressure sodium that cast an oronge coloured light. The fluorescent light looked much better in my opinion.

We had 3 versions of the 800 in BC. They were 800-33, 800-34 & 800-36. Not sure what the -S is on yours, I would guess -Special (for BELL). Our - numbers represent the width of the booth, 33", 34" & 36". The 34 & 36 had the high headers for a big sign on top like all pictured here do far. The 33" had much shorter height headers like most other booths come with.

Terry

Terry,

Well as they say, (I don't know who they are.) A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is what is needed for my Jaro 800-36-S.
The S stands for Lighting Sodium (100W HPS) = S
I also attached a pdf spec file for it.

Maybe I could use my Magnetic sign on my truck to get the parts I need.

AE_Collector

Ahh, S for Sodium lighting. I didn't think of that. Actually I was only guessing that those booths with the new lighting were Sodium lights. I would go with fluorescent lights, you could rig your own from 2' tubes, a circle-line tube or even a couple of CFL's.

I only ever saw a couple of them with the sodium lights here and they may have actually been BELL booths that I saw them in when they started putting a few payphones in BC. For example BELL snagged the Petro-Canada gas station contract coast to coast in Canada. By then I think TELUS was happy to see the end of payphones at gas stations.

It looks as though you just need the light fixture and the diffuser frame eith plastic diffuser. Both the smashed up 800 booths in this topic have those parts available. You should phone some scrap yards to see if Bell booths ever land there. Just over 3 years ago before I retired from Telus I could have got you the parts though with Postage rates it might have been expensive to get them to you. Since then contractors have taken all that work here so I don't even have any buddies on the inside now.

Terry

DavePEI

Doug:

If you don't mind not being 100% true to the original, you could replace the fixture using regular fluorescent, or circline, or a couple of CFL's. CFL's would be the easiest, as you don't need to provide a ballast, but they don't like to light in cold weather. The diffuser screen you could make out of a ceiling panel fluorescent light diffuser.

Photo below, my MD-9021 which it lit with a pair of CFLs.

Quote from: Autonut on June 22, 2016, 11:42:39 AM
Terry,

Well as they say, (I don't know who they are.) A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is what is needed for my Jaro 800-36-S.
The S stands for Lighting Sodium (100W HPS) = S
I also attached a pdf spec file for it.

Maybe I could use my Magnetic sign on my truck to get the parts I need.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001