"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone not always hanging up

Started by Firefyter-Emt, February 17, 2009, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Quote from: Firefyter-Emt on February 18, 2009, 01:34:54 AM

Is there any chance that something in my system conflicted with the cordless and damaged it?

I highly doubt it.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Perhaps after using that phone 25-50 times a day for X-amount of days finally made it give out...coincidentally. 

benhutcherson

Unfortunately, phones today just aren't built to last. I think that your cordless being the problem is a very viable answer.

I was about to congratulate you, as it appeared that you had the first incident of a defective 500 set reported on here. I'm glad to see that's not(apparently) the case, although it's a shame that your cordless set is giving you trouble.

Provided that an old telephone is wired correctly, it's very, very unusual to have one not work.

Dan/Panther

Ben;
You forgot to add, "Once you fix them".
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Assuming that it has been confirmed that the cordless telephone was the root of the problem here, it reminds me of a theory a friend of mine always says that seems to hold true.

"Inconsistencies cannot exist.  If they do exist, check the premise."

In this case the premise was that the old, recently acquired rotary phone---used in conjunction with a modern cordless/fax telephone---- was the source of a problem with the telephone service.  After much analyzation and discussion it was determined that the rotary phone seemed to be in proper working condition.  It was only after inadvertent discovery that in fact the modern cordless phone was the culprit and not the rotary phone, therefore supporting the theory.  The inconsistency existed because the premise was incorrect.

I shoulda been a lawyer...............

Firefyter-Emt

Yea, I have to assume that something went wrong with the phone as a fluke.  I called the main office and picked up a new cordless phone today after a VERY long day of calls from claim reps to tell me that people can not reach me or my office.   ::)  For now, it seems to be working for the last hour anyway.

The cool thing is that my order from old phones came in and my new cord & dial card is installed on the phone now. I guess we shall wait and see if it works.

In other news, I found a really nice wall outlet on e-bay last night. It is a 4-prong, but one made to fit inside a standard wall outlet box hole.  Very nice and for less than $10.00 shipped, I just had to pull the trigger on it, although I think the seller had a few more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370129027817#ebayphotohosting

Firefyter-Emt

Yea, now we just need to see what happens in a few days, Eh??

HobieSport

Quote from: Firefyter-Emt
No freaking way.... Guys, I hate to say this... but there is a chance it was my cordless that was acting up!

Honorable Firefyter-Emt;  I can only suggest one simple cure: (;))

Firefyter-Emt

LOL.....   You don't need to tell me!  You are talking to a guy that still uses fountain pens (vintage of course) and has a flat belt lathe patented in 1884 in his shop!

BTW:  You might like my site:  www.yankeetoys.org/lee/shop.html

McHeath

I too was about to be surprised that we had finally found a model 500 that was not working properly.  It has to happen sooner or later you know, I mean they are all getting up there in age, but still, I'm guessing we won't see a lot of these phones getting cranky and giving out on us till the 22nd century.
:D