News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 case fitting

Started by Perry, March 02, 2009, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I was stuck at home today because of snow, so I decided to adjust the bells on my 302 with a thermoplastic case. It was very difficult to get the case off. It was really tight, and I had to warm it with a hair dryer to get it off. I am a little reluctant to put it back on after reading about case cracks in these phones. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Is it standard to grind away part of the case? Would that be done just on the corners?

Dennis Markham

Perry, I don't know if it's standard to grind away the corners but I have done that to a couple in order for the shell to fit down over the base.  I ground the inside corners or areas where the plastic had bowed, or shrunk and was touching the edges of the base/chassis.  One I finished the cover fit over the base with clearance all around.  This will minimize the risk of it cracking.  It is a tough thing to do but it's better, since the ground plastic can't be seen, than having the case crack at the corners.  Presumably it may continue to shrink.  Even if you can locate the cover over the base, just tightening the screws could cause the case to crack once it's pulled down tightly on the base.

Perry

This particular case is really tight, and I would have to use pressure on it just to get it back on the base. There would definitely be no clearance. I don't want to crack it because it's a really nice case, so I suppose I'll need to get a grinder.

bingster

I have no proof that this would happen, but I'm always hesitant to leave a tight case off a phone for fear that it may, after so many years of the base plate holding the plastic in place, shrink quickly while it's off, keeping it from ever going back on.
= DARRIN =

Perry

Surely it's not a good idea to have the plastic case under tension, though? Anyway, this one was stuck on so tight that when I was taking it off, I was already thinking it would need some "adjustment" before I put it back on.

Dan/Panther

I agree with Dennis.
I routinely will use my dremel, and a drum disk, to sand down the high spots at each corner. Inside the case of course.
I'm sure any collector could appreciate the fact that it's better to have a little sanding marks on the inside of a case, than to have a very obvious and value depreciating crack at every corner.
If they can't, too bad I'm going to grind away the high spots anyhow.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson