"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trimline will not dial out

Started by princessphone, April 25, 2015, 09:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there,
Have very nice Trimline set and always thought that all was well until I tried dialing out.
It's a red 2220B 9-73 handset with a nice bell logo on the recall button and she has the small round touch tone buttons. She rings and answers but will not dial out. She has a dial tone, however when dialing out the dial tone is heard after each button is pushed. I don't believe it is a polarity issue because other handsets work well on her base unit.
When I opened her up I was amazed at how much stuff WE crammed into such a tight compartment and that's not even counting the stuff in the base unit. I'm a bit hesitant to take her apart as there are so many screws and the networks and circuit strip/boards appear to be soldered together. WE even flattened the capacitors to fit them in. Another oddity is the handset cord receptacle. The contacts for the phone lines (green and red) are gold plated and the other three are silver plated. Why was that?
Any advice, help or comments will be appreciated.
Thanks, John DeJonge

LarryInMichigan

The line polarity is probably reversed.  Reverse the red and green wires from the line.

Larry

princessphone

Hi Larry,
Thanks for reply. The polarity is not the issue. I had a similar problem with a stubborn Princess and reversing the polarity fixed her up. Therefor reversing the polarity on this baby was the first thing I tried, alas to no avail. With the correct polarity I get a Touch-tone (DTMF) sound when depressing a key, however upon release the dial tone comes back on. By reversing the polarity there is no DTMF sound at all when a key is depressed, only silence and upon release the dial tone comes on again.
John

G-Man

Quote from: princessphone on April 26, 2015, 01:00:33 AM
Hi Larry,
Thanks for reply. The polarity is not the issue. I had a similar problem with a stubborn Princess and reversing the polarity fixed her up. Therefor reversing the polarity on this baby was the first thing I tried, alas to no avail. With the correct polarity I get a Touch-tone (DTMF) sound when depressing a key, however upon release the dial tone comes back on. By reversing the polarity there is no DTMF sound at all when a key is depressed, only silence and upon release the dial tone comes on again.
John
It's a very good possibility that it is generating an off-frequency tone.

Without proper test equipment and the correct non-ferrous adjustment tool, attempting to retune it is not for the faint of heart so for the inexperienced collector I would suggest sending it to Steve Hilsz who will correct the problems for a small nominal fee.

Otherwise, check the ITT docs in the TCI Library that show how to work on these dials.     

princessphone

Thanks for the sound advice G-Man, no pun intended.
John

Janeiac

Please help a noob-- I have the same problem with a phone, and I am not experienced enough to be able to fix it. How do I send a phone to Steve Hilsz?

poplar1

Quote from: princessphone on April 25, 2015, 09:02:26 PM
Another oddity is the handset cord receptacle. The contacts for the phone lines (green and red) are gold plated and the other three are silver plated. Why was that?

Gold for the talk path is a better conductor, not necessary for the dial lamp to have such good quality?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: Janeiac on June 23, 2015, 07:42:44 PM
Please help a noob-- I have the same problem with a phone, and I am not experienced enough to be able to fix it. How do I send a phone to Steve Hilsz?

Here's his web site:
   http://www.navysalvage.com/
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Janeiac

Paul F, I have seen and enjoyed your site very much. Wowza! Do you, also, take in phones for repair?

Also, THANKS! :)