News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Value for Army Field Phones

Started by HowardPgh, July 30, 2012, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Is there any value in the EE8 telephones.
I have several and most of them look good and work though the handset cord look crappy.
Does any one know the order of disassembly after taking the unit out of the carry case. I would like to oil the noisy generator bearings-they sound dry.
What is the difference between EE8A and EE8B.

Howard
Howard

rdelius

I think the EE8A had a leather case and. the EE8B had a canvas case.Not positive on this though.These are not rare and i think around $50-75 might be close

sebbel

Talking of field phone I stumble upon one today. A Nothern Electric Version of the British Type F telephone. I'm waiting on him to get back with a price.
Seb.

gpo706

I have one of the F sets, the best thing about mine is the box, the insides need a total rewire.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

G-Man

As I compose this the TCI Library is not accessible so I am unable to provide a link to the EE-8 field telephone, however you should be able to search for it when the site becomes available. The manual will show that there were three versions and will explain their differences:

EE-8
EE-8A
EE-8B

The schematic and wiring diagrams explains their internal differences.

Also, be advised that there a number of manufacturers, including Automatic Electric, Western Electric, Stromberg-Carlson, etc. that have their own nuances, primarily the handsets.

2.    Description
    a.  GENERAL.  Telephones EE-8-A and EE-8-B are each contained
   in a case 9-9/16 by 7-11/16 by 3-1/2 inches and weigh about 9-3/4 pounds, including batteries. Telephone EE-8 is Contained in a case 9-3/4 by 7-1/4 by 3-1/2  inches. A rectangular portion of the leather has been cut out of the cover of Telephone EE-8 and replaced by a more flexible material. This permits the handset to depress the lever switch when it is hung on the outside of the case. Otherwise, Telephone EE-8 is externally similar to Telephones EE-8-A and EE-8-B.

b.  CASE.  The case containing Telephone EE-8(*)  is made of leather or canvas and has an adjustable carrying strap.  (See figs. 2 and 3.)  The cover is hinged at the back, overlaps the sides and front, and fastens in front with a snap fastener. The space within the case not occupied by the body is used for storing the handset.

c.  BODY.  All elements of Telephones EE-8 and EE-8-A are mounted on an aluminum alloy chassis. The elements of Telephone EE8--B are mounted on a sheet steel chassis. This assembly of the chassis and the elements mounted on it is called the body.  (See fig. 4.)  The battery compartment is on the upper left side of the body.  The chassis is fastened to the case by seven machine screws.

HowardPgh

I will answer some of my own questions from my first post.
Electrically all three types are the same and outwardly they appear the same.(They were made by many manufacturers and the handsets tend to be different)(Mine is made by Holtzer-Cabot)
The difference is EE8 has three seperate capacitors.  EE8A and EE8B have one combined capacitor. The frame/chassis of EE8 and EE8A is an aluminum alloy, while the EE8B chassis is steel.  Because of the different chassis materials EE8A and EE8B require a different generator.  EE8 and EE8A can use the old style three magnet generator, while EE8B can't because of the steel chassis.
I gathered this info from the TM33-111 manual.
Howard

Howard

Russ Kirk

I had a couple fo EE-8* phones,  one canvas case and one leather case.  Both cases and phones in rather poor condition.  I sold the two for about $50. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI