News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1966 NE 10 button Dusty Rose Contessa

Started by ....., July 31, 2018, 10:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picked up this nice 1966 NE 10 button Dusty Rose Beige Contessa today for $20.00 CDN
Did a little clean up and it looks good displayed.

oldguy

Nice find Doug, looks great & wonderful price.
Gary

jsowers

It's light beige. No such color as dusty rose as far as these are concerned. There was rose pink according to the nice ad you posted, but this looks like light beige in your pictures. It was still a very good deal, and the little clear phone number covers, which are often missing, are there.
Jonathan

Quote from: jsowers on August 01, 2018, 01:11:39 AM
It's light beige. No such color as dusty rose as far as these are concerned. There was rose pink according to the nice ad you posted, but this looks like light beige in your pictures. It was still a very good deal, and the little clear phone number covers, which are often missing, are there.

The pictures do it no justice, it likely is beige. But it does have a pink hue to it or it could be the rose coloured glasses I'm looking through.

Ktownphoneco

Doug ....   Is that the "Hay Bay" set ?    If it was in use in Bell Canada territory, it's a Princess.     If it was in service with an independent in Canada or the U.S.A., it's a Contessa.   The only real difference between the two versions was the box they came in.   
Technicians with independent telephone companies experienced problems with the rubber base pad falling off the Contessa sets when they took the sets out of the box to install them.     As a result, the Contessa's ended up with the nick name among telephone tech's as "the bare foot Contessa" which was taken from the 1954 movie of the same name starring  Humphrey Bogart & Ava Gardner.
I've attached a copy of an article I wrote on the subject for TCI's Singing Wires Newsletter in the spring of 2013.

Jeff Lamb

Sargeguy

Quote from: jsowers on August 01, 2018, 01:11:39 AM

I think both shades are covered under the description "Band-Aid Color"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Quote from: Duffy on August 01, 2018, 07:00:22 AM
The pictures do it no justice, it likely is beige. But it does have a pink hue to it or it could be the rose coloured glasses I'm looking through.

... or the yellowing effect of UV exposure over the years.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on August 01, 2018, 10:25:41 AM
Doug ....   Is that the "Hay Bay" set ?    If it was in use in Bell Canada territory, it's a Princess.     If it was in service with an independent in Canada or the U.S.A., it's a Contessa.   The only real difference between the two versions was the box they came in.   
Technicians with independent telephone companies experienced problems with the rubber base pad falling off the Contessa sets when they took the sets out of the box to install them.     As a result, the Contessa's ended up with the nick name among telephone tech's as "the bare foot Contessa" which was taken from the 1954 movie of the same name starring  Humphrey Bogart & Ava Gardner.
I've attached a copy of an article I wrote on the subject for TCI's Singing Wires Newsletter in the spring of 2013.

Jeff Lamb

Hi Jeff,

It is the Hay Bay one. When the lady messaged me she said that they had more phones and that her husband was a retired Bell guy. That peeked my interest, so I took the drive. I bought 2 phones the other was a 302 for parts. The other phones were AE's and a couple 60's NE plastics, I had no interest in them. I have learned that not every phone needs saving by me. It's time for someone else to do that.

The area code on the phone was 519. When I asked about it, she said that they had lived in that area. Most of the phones that they had, had that area code on them.