News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identifying these number plates!

Started by finlover, March 03, 2010, 01:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

I didn't look at these carefully enough before I bought them for a couple of 202s that I'm restoring and they don't fit.  I found a photo of a 102 dial that looks like a match, but other pictures of 102 dials don't seem to be.  What do you guys think?

Dennis Markham

Greg, based on the position of the notch in the dial plate for the finger stop I would say those two porcelain plates are for an AE dial.  Your top photo of the B1 body has an AE dial.  The second photo looks like a Western Electric dial. 

JorgeAmely

Since you can't fix the phone now, please mail it to me.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

finlover

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 03, 2010, 08:14:09 AM
Greg, based on the position of the notch in the dial plate for the finger stop I would say those two porcelain plates are for an AE dial.  Your top photo of the B1 body has an AE dial.  The second photo looks like a Western Electric dial. 
You may be right, Dennis.  What's throwing me is that the center opening on other AE dial plates I've seen is round and not notched like these.  Is it possible they're for a Kellogg, or do they use AE dials as well?

Dennis Markham

THAT is a good question, Greg.  I wasn't thinking about the difference in the opening.  I just don't handle enough AE dials to be a good source of info on the differences.

LarryInMichigan

That Kellogg phone, according to the 15G stamped on the bottom, has a type 15 dial which was a copy of the AE dial.  Look at: http://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/PDF/HISTORY_1000_REDBAR.pdf.

Larry

cihensley@aol.com

Those number plates won't fit anything. Look at them closely and you will see that they are not printed evenly on center. They are notched like a Western 164 dial plate but the numbers are printed incorrectly. I saw these on ebay and sent an email to the seller, pointing out they were defective. He, or she, never responded. I wonder how they came into being.

JorgeAmely

finlover:

Do you have the auction number for these plates?

Jorge

McHeath

QuoteThose number plates won't fit anything. Look at them closely and you will see that they are not printed evenly on center. They are notched like a Western 164 dial plate but the numbers are printed incorrectly. I saw these on ebay and sent an email to the seller, pointing out they were defective. He, or she, never responded. I wonder how they came into being.

Wow, that's great info cihensley.  Perhaps these were something made by a company like Oldphoneworks.com and perhaps rejected as inferior. 

Dan/Panther

Greg;
This dial face will be for the Western Electric phone pictured second.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Greg:

I have looked at a couple of old AE phones I have. The inside of the number plates are round, not notched like yours. Also the characters are all placed about 1/8 of an inch from the edge, so when you look through the finger wheel, numbers and characters are all centered.

What is odd about them is the notches inside.

This photo I borrowed from OPW resembles what you have, but they have dots instead of numbers. Perhaps they are for a 5302.

PS: I don't think anyone makes these things anymore. To make one you would need the metal base plus ceramics plus a big oven to cook the whole thing at high temperature, just the way they used to make high quality kitchen sinks.
Jorge

finlover

Thanks for all the input, boys.  I guess this was a case of "buyer beware".  I should have examined them more carefully.  I have a feeling they really do fit something though and are not rejects.  They are definitely old and are porcelain, not some kind of overlay and both are exactly the same.  If they were mistakes I would think they'd be slightly different from one other.  The numbers line up with those on my AE40 but the plate is slightly smaller in diameter.  Maybe these are for an earlier AE dial?  I don't think they're WE at all because of the fingerstop placement.  Also the notched hole is a different shape and lacks the two little slots that WE plates have.

I just know that somewhere there's a guy with an old candlestick phone that would kill for a new dial plate, and I've got two

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Doug Rose

I also questioned the seller and got no response. This gentleman sells phones weekly on eBay. These look as if the were made by someone who didn't know the difference between an AE and a WE dial. The middle is cut like a WE universal dial plate, but the notch and set up is AE, but if you really look closely, this is off for an AE numbers set up. This was a very deceptive auction. I would not resell them on eBay, you would be just transferring the problem to another collector. Go to the seller and demand your money + shipping back.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Would someone be able to post the eBay item number for those dial plates, please?  I'd like to look at the auction if it's still on eBay's site.

Thanks.