News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My collection

Started by shadow67, January 20, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

My newest acquisition is a 295A subset. What drew me to this was the patent dates engraved in the wood. Last date is 1906. Most I see have dates on a label inside the set with a 1907 date. So am guessing this set is from 1906 or so. It also does not have the usual disclaimer about only to be used with American Bell telephones.  It has a broken connection on the induction coil that needs to be resoldered but I tested it with a 20S candlestick and it is functional when the broken wire is held in place.

shadow67

Here is my latest project. When I bought it it came with a black 323 transmitter. Over time I obtained new cords, an OST receiver, and finally a *229* transmitter. Polished everything up and put it all together this evening. Now I need a thumb screw and a new bottom covering. Hopefully when I attach it to a subset it will work.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: shadow67 on December 18, 2020, 12:07:27 AM
Now I need a thumb screw and a new bottom covering. 

You have the hard to find stuff,
I have seen really nice repro thumbscrews offered over the years.
There is nice replacement cloth in the collector community.
It is like I said, You have found the hard parts.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

shadow67

I guess I have acquired a taste for nickel and picked up another 20-B. What drew me to this one was the patent dates on the perch and none on the base. Almost every WE candlestick I see for sale has dates on the base. It does not have the side screw on the shaft but I believe this is an older one nonetheless. This one came with a nickel *329* transmitter and American Bell markings on the cup. Inside the transmitter it has the wire strap to make the insulated transmitter work on the uninsulated phone. The felt is gone on the bottom but there is a trace of green felt inside the base. The cords are old with paper tags dated 1914. It cleaned up pretty good. All I did was polish this one with some simichrome.

Doug Rose

Stunning! Phone Art!....Doug
Kidphone

shadow67

Thanks Doug. I am considering whether to swap the 229 transmitter and OST receiver from my other 20B to this one. Then again I may just enjoy them as they are.

Key2871

That is one sharp phone. Congrats!
KEN

oldguy

Gary