News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

XLink simple/dumb question

Started by zaphod01, February 02, 2014, 08:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I saw a payphone on ebay which included a XLink box to allow it to work with a cell phone. This intrigued me. I have several vintage phones on display in my office at work but cannot connect them to the company phone system. I researched several sources but I'm still not convinced XLink will work for the simple demonstration purpose/parlor trick I have in mind.

Can I connect a vintage phone directly into the XLINK box and have it function when paired to my cell phone?
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Greg G.

Quote from: zaphod01 on February 02, 2014, 08:30:35 AM
I saw a payphone on ebay which included a XLink box to allow it to work with a cell phone. This intrigued me. I have several vintage phones on display in my office at work but cannot connect them to the company phone system. I researched several sources but I'm still not convinced XLink will work for the simple demonstration purpose/parlor trick I have in mind.

Can I connect a vintage phone directly into the XLINK box and have it function when paired to my cell phone?

Yes.  I used to have my PBX running on an Xlink and vintage phones plugged into the PBX.  The sound quality wasn't up to snuff for use as an everyday driver, but if you're only going to use it for demonstration purposes, it should work fine.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Yes, and they update the S.W. regularly so it are working better and better.   :)
I have to admit a sudden disappointment when I started to use mine.
It may even be configured to accept rather bad tuned rotary telephones.

The limits may be in choice of dial tone, ring cadence and the distance to your cellphone.

Actually it may also work with your cellphone (or an old cellphone with no sim card) connected to Wifi and different kinds of ip telephony.

dsk

jacl

I'm very seriously looking into getting one right now, that is if it works well with rotary phones, I'm trying to decide between a dialgizmo, building a converter from schematics I found online or a rotatone (in each phone) or the xlink,

From my understanding it should work as you expect it to, I have a Voip line and it only accepts DTMF so this looks like it will work for me for that and have the added feature of linking my cell through the house as well.

mentalstampede

Quote from: jacl on May 24, 2014, 12:39:24 AM
I'm very seriously looking into getting one right now, that is if it works well with rotary phones, I'm trying to decide between a dialgizmo, building a converter from schematics I found online or a rotatone (in each phone) or the xlink,

From my understanding it should work as you expect it to, I have a Voip line and it only accepts DTMF so this looks like it will work for me for that and have the added feature of linking my cell through the house as well.

If you need a quick and easy way to hook up multiple phones and convert pulse to DTMF at the same time, the old Panasonic 308 and 616 key systems are a great option. They convert pulse to tone for calls on the outside line, and are capable of providing a lot more ringer current than an xlink alone.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

dsk

The x-link are better than before, but not trouble free, sometimes it just don't work, and needs a restart. This has never append with my Dialgizmo's.  The Panasonic 616 are still my best, and I hope it will last for ever, but it is old electronics....
I would not buy a full prized XLink today, but 1/2 price or better...
At our cabin, I run a china cellphone adapter + dialgizmo and it works without reset, it is powered by the 12 alarm-battery, and it transfers alarms, I may remote control heating etc. It has worked for about 3 years now. (Without 1 failure!)

dsk

zaphod01

My Xlink suddenly lacks a dialtone. I scrounged up a USB connector out of the 'big-box-o-cables' but could not download the software while at work (corporate policy). I guess I'll give it a go when I get started on phone stuff this morning.

Any ideas why I have a blue light connection and no dialtone?  :(

I hate to haul out the 616 just to test phones.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

poplar1

The Xlink BT model is only for up to 3 bluetooth devices (cell phones). If you  want to add your VOIP line, or a POTS line, in addition to the cell "lines," you need the BTTN version. Xlink does work with both rotary and Touch-Tone phones.

Quote from: jacl on May 24, 2014, 12:39:24 AM

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jacl

I ended up buying the BTTN today, it should be delivered within a week,

I was going to get a HT701 from my friend who goes to the states 2 times a week (the 10$ walmart ones).

However with all my tests yesterday I was unable to get connected to MagicJack with a softphone and the SIP credentials for my account so that seemed like it would not work.