News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting markings on a 51-AL

Started by Sargeguy, January 14, 2014, 04:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

It is very common to find a dial candlestick with "20-AL" obliterated and "151-AL" stamped on the front of the perch.  I bought one last week with those markings, and when another WE dial candlestick arrived today and I saw the obliterated 20-AL I thought I had it's twin.  To my surprise I cracked open the bottom of this brassed-out former lamp and discovered that it was wired as a 51-AL.  Sure enough when I took off the transmitter cup I found that it was stamped "51-AL" on the front of the perch. 

I turned my attention to the #2 dial.  It had a numbers-only faceplate, but when I looked at the fingerstop it was stamped "2AB".  There was also an H with a square around it.

The notchless 132-A turns out to be a "D-35489".  It has no "OPERATOR" around the "0"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

The Western Electric D75978 dial uses a similar number plate (all figures, no operator). The D75978 dial looks just like a 2A-type, except the finger stop is not marked and D75978 is stamped in vermilion ink on the back of the dial.

I know of two D75978 dials found on metal Kellogg F803 and 817 wall sets and one on a 50AL. I also found one at phoneco years ago. The 817 belongs to Haf, but the original number plate had been changed.

Since your dial is coded 2AB, this number plate was probably not originally from this dial. The H in a box may indicate  where the dial was refurbished. Perhaps the lamp maker swapped parts around and you ended up with this rare number plate.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.