News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate sale Find Wicker Case Heywood Wakefield Victrola

Started by Doug Rose, October 09, 2010, 03:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Here is a beautiful Victrola we picked up today at an Estate sale. It is all wicker made by Heywood-Wakefield Boston Providence. It is in working condition and is in much better condition than the flash makes it look. All unpainted wicker with no breaks in it. There are a few imperfections in the woos of the case, but minor indeed. It winds and plays, but it does slow down before it finishes. I'll look at it later. I cleaned up the wicker with some neutral Howards. This is a beautiful piece. Any collectors who have any information on this, I would surely appreciate it....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

When I was in elementary school in 1960, the school had desks made by Heywood Wakefield.  I distinctly remember because of the brand on the inside of the desk.

They were very good for ducking and covering.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

Holy Moly!  That particular piece is something the Heywood-Wakefield collectors would go nuts over.  Search "Heywood Wakefield" in ebay, and you'll see what I mean.  HW made tons and tons of wicker furniture early on, so I'm not surprised they did something like this.  I've never seen one, though.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

thanks Darrin...It is just in phenomenal condition....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 09, 2010, 03:28:58 PM
Here is a beautiful Victrola we picked up today at an Estate sale. ... It winds and plays, but it does slow down before it finishes. ....Doug

Broken spring I bet.  My Avalon did the same thing when I got it.  It had two springs, one was broken.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Is anyone a collector of old Phonographs or Victrolas. I have this listed on eBay and I'm getting bombarded by people to end the auction early and sell it. I think I might have something here, so I need some help. Anyone know the approximate value of this? or where I can get the information. I appreciate any help you can give me....thanks...Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290491822937&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Kidphone

KeithB

I don't know antiques or Victrolas, but if you get more than one offer to end the auction early for a tidy sum, you should encourage them to place a bid on it.  We all know what happens when more than one person wants a particular rare phone, and the same thing should be allowed to happen with your auction.  If they want it that badly, they should bid for it and compete with others, not ask you to cheat and sell it to them.

Doug Rose

Quote from: KeithB on October 25, 2010, 02:23:23 PM
I don't know antiques or Victrolas, but if you get more than one offer to end the auction early for a tidy sum, you should encourage them to place a bid on it.  We all know what happens when more than one person wants a particular rare phone, and the same thing should be allowed to happen with your auction.  If they want it that badly, they should bid for it and compete with others, not ask you to cheat and sell it to them.
Agreed.....I'm not ending the auction, I'm looking to see if someone with a little knowledge has a ball park figure. If you asked me for a ballpark figure on a Blue thermoplastic WE 302 in good condition, I would say its worth at least 2K. Shipping is out the question on this because of the delicate condition being wicker, so I don't want to let it go too cheap. My audience will be limited because of the pickup only. Yes, I will trade this for a good condition WE Blue thermoplastic 302! (humor)....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

I paid more than that for a lesser quality off-brand (Avalon).  I paid $375 for my 1913 Victrola VV XI.  Just a Victrola reproducer in good condition by itself goes for that much, sometimes more.  If I were local, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.  Yeah, if you're getting bombarded with requests to end early - don't, they're wetting their pants over it.

Take a look at some of the phonographs on this site, this is where I got mine.  I almost went for the Fumed Oak one, but the one I got was $50 less.  He has a link for questions about phonographs also.

http://www.clarphon.com/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

very nice, doug. are you crazy..$149  :o  ...i am not familar with the phonograph. but anything with the heywood-wakefield name usually goes for at least a grand. i'm doin a little net searching now.
donna

Doug Rose

Quote from: bwanna on October 25, 2010, 06:29:01 PM
very nice, doug. are you crazy..$149  :o  ...i am not familar with the phonograph. but anything with the heywood-wakefield name usually goes for at least a grand. i'm doin a little net searching now.
Donna....I have no clue on this and I figure I am at a handicap where it is pickup only. I can always end the auction. To sell on eBay, you have to be a little crazy.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on October 25, 2010, 04:46:34 PM
I paid more than that for a lesser quality off-brand (Avalon).  I paid $375 for my 1913 Victrola VV XI.  Just a Victrola reproducer in good condition by itself goes for that much, sometimes more.  If I were local, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.  Yeah, if you're getting bombarded with requests to end early - don't, they're wetting their pants over it.

Take a look at some of the phonographs on this site, this is where I got mine.  I almost went for the Fumed Oak one, but the one I got was $50 less.  He has a link for questions about phonographs also.

thanks Greg...I asked the owner of that site.....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 25, 2010, 06:46:14 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on October 25, 2010, 04:46:34 PM

Take a look at some of the phonographs on this site, this is where I got mine.  I almost went for the Fumed Oak one, but the one I got was $50 less.  He has a link for questions about phonographs also.

thanks Greg...I asked the owner of that site.....Doug

I already heard back from him and a few others in the OTAPS club (Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society).  Anywhere from $300-$1000.  Here's the responses:

QuoteI have a mint one just like it......assuming it has a door.     I think I paid $900 about 3 years ago.

Stan Stanford

QuoteIn todays market, you would be hard pressed at 300.00. IMO
Wayne

QuoteI bought the same machine quite a few years ago at the CAPS sale and I think I paid around $1000 for it.  Jerry

To be honest, I think the second quote is probably the most realistic, but only because of market conditions.  However, as we know from phones, the current economics don't impact everybody, there's still people out there with plenty of disposable cash.

If it were mine, I would hang on to it, have the spring fixed and enjoy it for a while.  Sell it later when economics improve.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

i found one at an antiques store in nebraska, listed at $1695... if you don't need to sell it to pay the rent, i'd hold out for upwards of 700$..good luck :)
donna

wds

That s very nice Victrola - it would be a shame to lose it for only $149.  Change it to a Buy it Now for about $1000, or best offer.  I notice the ebay ad doesn't say where "local pickup" is? Or am I just missing it?
Dave