"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT&T Payphone Plus

Started by Sigmaz, January 07, 2018, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on January 27, 2018, 09:20:54 AM
A payphone vault can hold $1,000's in folding money.
JMO,
Jim S.

Easily! That's only 1 one thousand dollar bill! Do they still make Those? Probably not.....

Quote from: Sigmaz on January 26, 2018, 11:45:27 PM
Once I got inside the upper housing I was pleasantly surprised to find the vault keys!

Yes it is a good reminder to everyone that we used to frequently put the vault keys in the upper housing when shipping payphones back after take out. Generally the upper locks were all keyed the same while the lowers were always unique. ALWAYS start with the upper when breaking into a payphone!

Terry

Haf

Terry,

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 27, 2018, 09:44:20 AM
Easily! That's only 1 one thousand dollar bill! Do they still make Those? Probably not.....

I know collectors are always poor as every $ goes into collection, so here it is - $1000. Yes, discontinued 2000. And don't say you meant US dollar, they are discontinued loong ago but there you can even stuff your vault with  $ 100,000 bills.

And thank you for your reminder where the vault key is stored sometimes..well, did that to but had forgotten. Found the what I thought missing keys of three of my three slot payphones :) Thank you!

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Sigmaz

Being an AT&T phone it's probably only useful as a piggy bank anyway.

I'll move the lock back to the bottom..

I moved the lock on my 1C1 and there was a reason and I just remembered why..
The little spring tang that keeps the upper housing lock skates in either up or down position is missing and when the upper lock is unlocked the assembly drops down no longer securing it.
I was worried that with the vibrations in the house eventually it could work it's way off of the phone and fall on someone.

For some reason because of my paranoia I did it to this phone too.

I guess if the tang is there ( it is ) keeping everything secure the T-key is plenty to open and close the upper.

I agree, a locked secure vault is better than a locked upper housing.

Payphone installer

I never put money box locks in upper housing because if you loose the keys they are almost impossible to remove. The 29A is made to break into. The best thing to do if you like locks in your phone is use all 29A locks keyed the same. The phone in the picture was a line powered phone as there appears to be no power supply board. I do have private payphone plus software but its on floppy disks. I am not sure it will run the phone in the picture. I do know the end of the Private Payphone plus was 10 digit local calling and it also was not 2000 ready. Remember the end of the world.

Sigmaz

Hah yeah the end of the world.. I remember watching the clock and waiting for the power to go out.

Is the software stored on multiple disks? They could probably be copied into folders and zipped together into one archive file.
But the real question is do you have a pc with a floppy drive..

But yes, thanks for the lock advice Jim, I appreciate that..busting a vault lock would most definitely be much harder.

Fortunately for me it's short work with the Bridgeport, but not everyone has a 2500# mill in their garage..

As for the boards and stuff in this unit, should the owner decide that he must have this working I'll opt to just change the dial/hook assembly and replace the chassis with a dumb one.
But I think it would be cheaper for him to just hang this thing up and enjoy the view.

Payphone installer

Here is what the software package looks like. I used to have these on CD and cant find them. I also found the phone tracker software for the controller.

Sigmaz

Great find!

Ok.. so..... the first piece of the puzzle is a 5.25" floppy drive..  hah!..

I wonder how they've held up after all this time.

I respect the historical value of your collection.. amazing in every aspect.

As for the AT&T rigs, Would you like help setting up a functioning programming image for them?

I don't have much interest in the Payphone Plus line itself but I do enjoy the challenges of trying to make this ancient software run.

Speaking of challenges, The CoinPro is something I do hope you consider working with in the near future.

I think that would be a lot of fun to work on.

Payphone installer

If your up for the challenge let's do it.

Sigmaz

Heck yeah, I'm absolutely up to it. both projects if you'd like.
I've already perfected the Expressnet USB setup. although I would have preferred to have had the 1.55 executable on it..

I believe that in 1.55 they extended the communications timeout to allow slow phones time enough to respond without being cut off prematurely.

Of course now I'm trying to locate the tech bulletin and I cant find it...Stupid Wayback Machine...

But yeah, let's do this.