"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1963 WE 500. Doesn't ring.

Started by AET, November 05, 2009, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Tom:

There are several black wires in a phone.  I am wondering if you are moving the correct one.  The black ringer wire is the thick one.  See the picture I have sent.

-Bill
-Bill G

AET

There was no line cord, I put one on, then I had great sound, but no ring.  When I put it back on with ends, it was very faint.  I moved the wire from G to L1 and besides some initial smoke on the first phone call, there was nothing.  I also tried the tension spring, as my mom actually taught me that (it was the first thing I learned about phones. :) All these things and still no ring.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, in your photo it looks like there is a white wire attached to terminal K along with the slate (gray) wire from the ringer.  There should be nothing else attached to K.  Where is the other end of that wire connected?

Did it really smoke?

Jester

That extra white lead on terminal K is one of the receiver wires & needs to be moved to term. GN.  This would account for low volume at the receiver.
Stephen

AET

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 05, 2009, 11:33:37 PM
Did it really smoke?

Yes, just for a quick second when it should have been ringing, but went away at second glance. 

I will fix the wire tomorrow, I have put the phone back together until tomorrow.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

And to clarify what I wrote, the slate colored wire should be on K, but nothing else.  I thought that looked like a handset or dial wire, if it is a later dial.  How did it get there?

AET

I haven't a clue.  All I did was replace the lobbed off line cord, and moved the wire for the ringer as you all told me.  Otherwise I haven't done anything else.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

I totally missed the white receiver wire on K.  Yes, Tom, that needs to be moved to GN.

-Bill
-Bill G

bingster

You have to help us out a little, Tom.  The first step to any problem is to check your wiring against a standard wiring diagram, such as this one:

http://thegreatgildersleeve.net/sharedfiles/misc/500cd.jpg
http://thegreatgildersleeve.net/sharedfiles/misc/500cd.png

Then report back whether it works or not after you've got all your wiring to match the diagram.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, click on your link there.  When I do I only get a small portion of the diagram.

bingster

Link fixed, and another format added in case there's a problem with JPG.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Tom:

Any luck with that 500?

-Bill
-Bill G

AET

Busy schedule limits my time to work on phones.  Hoping to tinker with it tomorrow depending on when I get back from the Antique Mall.
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Ah, the antique mall.  I have the day off tomorrow, I should do the same.  Good idea.
-Bill G

bingster

You might come back from the antique mall with... more phones. :P
= DARRIN =