News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Peach of a Plum ( Maroon) North Electric

Started by Jester, November 11, 2017, 07:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

At the request of a fellow member, I am posting some after photos of my maroon Galion 7h6.  I (re)discovered it recently, and couldn't stand leaving as found any longer.  It had been sprayed gloss black along the way, and the cords-- :o!  The paint left after a coat of 3M Safest Stripper.  The 5J dial cleaned up nicely, apart from a hairline crack from the inside ring through the inside spoke at #5 finger hole.  The most time was spent on the cords-- I wanted them to match the Bakelite.  It took a few tries(it didn't help that I was trying for maroon using an OPW ivory handset cord and an original brown 300 type line cord), but I finally got the results I was looking for.  I apologize for my iPad camera quality.
Stephen
Stephen

Doug Rose

Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

Pourme

Good job, excellent results! You should be proud!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dennis Markham

Jester

Thank you all for the kudos.  As an update, I discovered the ringer is of the party line frequency variety.  I thought I wouldn't know what that was, then remembered that the factory paint stenciled on the base of the phone had been drawn through with marker pencil.  In addition, someone had marked what I thought was $30.00 to the left of this scratched out information.  After playing with the connected phone and thinking that marking looked odd, I have decided it wasn't a dollar value.  With the other info. marked through, I thought it possible this was a refurbisher's doing, and the marking I mistook for a price was actually a ringer value-- 30 cycles.  My confusion came from the writer's shorthand for cycles-- it curiously looked like 2 zeros, but not quite.  Below is a closeup of the base showing the markings.  Unfortunately, the ringer value in shorthand is gone, scrubbed off when I polished the rest of the base :(.
Also of interest, I found a date stamp of 06 57 inside the transmitter cup of the handset and Jan 58 inside the back face of the body.  The baseplate is stamped 51 clearly, the month is either 3 or 8-- too blurry to be sure.

Stephen

Doug Rose

Stephen....wire it up and see....sometimes they work, maybe a little low...but rings You can put a 302 ringer in, but it would be a shame to play with such a great phone. Get a new camera my friend....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

I finally finished my custom dial card for this one.  This is the official seal for Danielle's alma mater.  Two pics-- one overview and one closeup.
Stephen

TelePlay

And when sitting on a table, they look like this:

Jester

Last update on this one-- I promise.  While going through some more of my stash, looking for something else, I stumbled across a straight line coil that fits this phone!  I opened it up, swapped it with the 30 cycle coil inside it-- and she RINGS!  This one's gone from a forgotten find to a fully functional looker in less than 2 months.  And all the parts used were somewhere in the house.
Stephen

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Real nice Stephen....good to see you back....Doug
Kidphone