News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 169: WE 1950 Dark Blue 302 - Ended 3-29-15

Started by TelePlay, March 25, 2015, 10:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Listed about 24 hours ago in a 5 day auction with no reserve (with thanks to JimH for the heads up on this auction) is a Dark Blue 302 in very nice condition except for the soft center finger wheel.  Right now there are just under 4 days left in the auction so anyone who wants to submit a guess will have 3 days to do so.

It was listed at $9.99 and within one day has received 36 bids driving the price up to $699.00. I'm thinking there has to be an upside to this contest but how much is the question. So, once again, who best knows what this phone will sell for when the actions ends?

NOTE:  This is a short eBay auction, 5 days, with only 3 days to get your guesses in from topic posting.

The seller listed it as an "RARE Western Electric 302 BLUE Telephone Thermoplastic - Estate Fresh Untouched" with the item condition as "Used" and "See item description" with the auction listing description saying "This auction is being listed with no reserve!  I am very much aware that this phone is worth more than my starting bid of $9.99.  Please do not email me with buy-it-now offers.  I will not end the listing early, so have fun bidding. This auction is for a vintage Western Electric 302 thermoplastic telephone in the elusive and desirable blue.  This is fresh from a local estate and, judging from the thick layer of dust that was on it, has been on a shelf and unseen for many years.  I am not a phone collector or dealer, so I will describe the item as best as I can.  Please feel free to ask me questions.  I do work a full time day job, so the earlier in the auction you ask, the more time I will have to get back to you.  I have additional pictures other than those listed, mostly of the handset and inside the handset.  I'll be happy to email them on request.  I'd appreciate if you only request them if you are a serious bidder.

Now for the details:  There are NO chips or cracks to the blue plastic case and handset.  There are some small scuff and scratches, but nothing really major.  Mostly just typical use wear. The finish is a little dull as a result, but this baby would really pop with a professional buff and polish. The dial sticks.  It does dial, but is a little stiff and does not spring back at all.  The inner circle of the plastic dial does have a crack as shown in the photos.  Its really not very obvious, I missed it for quite a while and you probably wouldn't notice it.  I think the dials are pretty easy to replace, should you choose.  The backing with the numbers and letters on it is in pretty nice shape.  The are a few small scratches and some light wear.  The most wear is on the red numbers 1, 2, and 3.  Its obviously missing the center number card in the center of the dial. I do not have any way to test the phone, so the working condition is being sold as is.  As you can see, it looks to be in good shape inside. The cord is gray.  Not sure if it was originally blue and has faded, or if it was originally gray.  The cord is in pretty good shape still though. I think it may be all original.  Almost all of the dates throughout are 1950.  The one exception is the part you talk into, I think the numbers on that are for 1949. There is some sticker residue on the inside of the cradle.  I'm sure it will clean, I just wasn't sure what the best cleaning product was.  I didn't want to risk damaging the plastic.  As this phone will likely be restored by a professional, I opted to leave it as is.  It was probably one of those police/fire/poison control stickers that we all had stuck on our phones before 911.  Man I feel old.  As I mentioned, the phone had a thick layer of dust on it.  I cleaned it up pretty well with damp paper towels and q-tips, but it could use a better detailing in the crevices and around the dial."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391094107821  ( there are more pictures in the eBay listing )

NOTE: we will use a 3% gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, guess gaps of 6+% can be split. I'll help with these as the auction goes forward and guesses are entered.

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$     950.00 - Mr. Bones( 12 )
$  1,000.00 - Sargeguy  ( 9 )
$  1,050.00 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 1 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $1,043.88
$  1,081.50 - andre_janew  ( 10 )
$  1,125.00 - Autonut  ( 2 )
$  1,162.50 - TelePlay  ( 15 )
$  1,200.00 - compubit  ( 13 )
$  1,250.00 - HarrySmith  ( 5 )
$  1,350.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 14 )
$  1,450.00 - baldopeacock  ( 7 )
$  1,502.50 - wds  ( 11 )
$  1,555.00 - Kenton K  ( 4 )
$  1,675.00 - Fabius  ( 6 )
$  1,750.00 - tallguy58  ( 8 )
$  1,895.00 - JimH  ( 3 )

Early Morning Auction Status

03-24-15     Listed       $        9.99
03-25-15     29 Bids     $    525.99
03-26-15     36 bids     $    699.00
03-27-15     37 bids     $    769.89
03-28-15     37 bids     $    769.89
03-29-15     38 bids     $    799.99
03-29-15     11 bidders, 41 bids $1,043.88  Ended at 19:31 PDT

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

Jim H.

Kenton K

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

baldopeacock

Betting $1450 because I think that slot fits in the matrix as of this moment.

That said,  I would not be surprised if it goes north of $1600.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

wds

$1450

----------------------

EDIT - waiting for a revised guess

Oops - didn't see that bid - make mine $1500
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Mediterranean Blue is –57, but that phone is Dark Blue –18.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on March 26, 2015, 10:25:34 PM
Mediterranean Blue is –57, but that phone is Dark Blue –18.

So noted and changed in the topic title. Thanks!