News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 176: WE 1959 "Shmoo" Telephone, Trial Model # F53273 - Ended 5-10-15

Started by TelePlay, May 03, 2015, 11:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Just a quick note, "Ends 5-10-11", erm, that's 4 years ago, seems to be on the latest three contests... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 04, 2015, 09:23:38 PM
Just a quick note, "Ends 5-10-11", erm, that's 4 years ago, seems to be on the latest three contests... ;D

What are you talking about, they look good to me . . .    ;)

Thanks, typo corrected on all 3. That's what I get for doing a copy/paste into a character limited field.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

And the winner of Auction Contest #176 is twocvbloke who with the very 1st entry into the contest (what the heck did he know or where did he get that number) offered the winning guess of $1,346.00 to give him his 3rd auction contest win! So, a big congratulations go out to twocvbloke for another win in the CRPF Auction Contests and for moving up one rung in the Contest Standings.

Once again we see a last second snipe by a bidder placing their one and only bids winning the auction. This auction stalled at $600 for days but the last few seconds saw 3 snipes doubling that and in the end, 5***9 ( 1192 )'s one and only bid of at least $1,280.99 just 2 seconds before the auction ended did the trick to take the phone home. The phone was listed at $100.00 and over the 7 days, attracted 9 bidders placing 14 bids. This Shmoo sold for more than twice what the last one went for in contest #146.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 176 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

twocvbloke

Yay!! I got another one at long last!!!  ;D

As for my guess number and wher it came from, Hoover Junior model 1346... ;D

wds

Interesting - another Shmoo sold the same day for about the same price.  Sold for $1300 BIN

http://tinyurl.com/ok2qv25
Dave

TelePlay

Interesting, indeed, and it was the same buyer for both.

I did not even see this listing. Only 3 bidders and only 3 bids with the winning bid a BIN about 12 hours after being listed. This one was listed well before the auction contest Shmoo ended/sold so the pricing on this one is indeed interesting, and this one sold after the contest Shmoo.

5***9 ( 1192 )       Buy It Now   US $1,300.00  May-10-15 21:41:50 PDT

o***t ( 2025 )               US $347.00   May-10-15 13:44:10 PDT

1***p ( 1705 )        US $300.00   May-10-15 09:47:04 PDT

Starting Price              US $149.99   May-10-15 08:13:29 PDT

But why isn't the feedback number for the buyer 1193 for this one?

wds

If you look closely at the pictures of the side of the two phones, they are different.  One has a line cord coming out the side, the other has what looks like a button.
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on May 11, 2015, 08:52:29 AM
If you look closely at the pictures of the side of the two phones, they are different.  One has a line cord coming out the side, the other has what looks like a button.

The button (switch?) is there on both of them (see the top down photo of the insides) but is hidden by side entering line cord on the second Shmoo. The difference appears to be where the line cord enters - on the end in the contest phone and one the side of the other phone.

WEBellSystemChristian

This is definitely not a Shmoo; this is the step after that. The Shmoo had that bulge in the body because the dial was basically a modified #6, with similar size and fingerwheel type as all other phones. The problem with that was the dial was too big, and Bell System wanted it to be slimmer. The finger stop on the production set was movable with the dial, so it would work properly, but could be a smaller size. This one has that trait, so this was actually made a year or so after the Shmoo.

EDIT: I revisited Paul's site, and it shows that this is the Contour, made in 1960. It was probably a very good deal for $1300!!

http://www.paul-f.com/weproto.html
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on May 11, 2015, 07:56:14 AM

But why isn't the feedback number for the buyer 1193 for this one?

1192 is the number of feedbacks left by sellers or buyers, and not the number of purchases/sales. So it will increase to 1193 or 1194 only if and when feedback is left for 5***9.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Side by side pictures - I see the differences now.
Dave