News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vacuum Tubes

Started by mmd, June 07, 2010, 05:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmd

Anyone here use Vacuum tubes for audio?  I do, all the time.  My computer is setup with an external vacuum tube amplifier for it's sound, which drive my headphones or the speakers on the desk.  I also have a Fisher 800c that I sometimes jam out with, and show off to friends who think vacuum tubes suck (and all i have to do is play "Heaven can Wait" from Meatloaf, the symphony stands out so much you can feel the music).

For my computer though, this is the tube amp.  It's got 16v AC input for power, and a USB port (it has it's own digital to analog converter, so no possible ground loop problems).

The tubes I have installed in this bad boy, are 1945 Hytron 6AK5's.  They are war use tubes, but by 45, the war ended, so they only had a short run in the war, then went into storage for years, till I found them in a warehouse and purchased them for $5 a tube.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

Dan/Panther

Brandon;
You can't beat tubes for deep throaty sounds.
I collect and restore vintage tube Radios, and T.V.'s. I have a Zenith MJ-1035 Stereo and there is not a modern transistor set that can come close to the sound.
These were made in the late 50's. Still perform like new. AM/FM Stereo. I have another Zenith in my Bedroom, AM/FM Model 845 Monaural only. I completely rebuilt that one. In a Philco Console cabinet, I had the empty cabinet, and the Chassis without the cabinet, so I put the together for a Franken Radio
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson