News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$1000's for Ebay candlesticks!!! LOL

Started by rtp129495, December 29, 2017, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtp129495

I have been away a while due to my mother passing away and dealing with family issues last 2 years. fun stuff!

Anyway, I was looking on e-bay to find a candlestick and I'm seeing them offered for as much as $4,000!!! I know they're historic, but $4,000?  :o They were not selling for that much two years ago! sigh....  :(

Stubbypylon

Sorry to hear of your mothers passing.  I lost both of my parents over the last five years.  Regarding candlesticks, it all depends on the candlestick. I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but I've seen them go for tens of thousands of dollars based on the rarity.
Craig Stanowski

TelePlay

Well, depends on the stick. I've seen them sell for over $10,000 over the past two years. This one, the highest priced on eBay right now is in my opinion, priced right by the seller. Cliff knows his phones and what he is asking is retail plus a bit but for this stick, a good offer. And the seller does allow an interested buyer to make an offer. A fair listing for that phone.

As I said, depends on the stick. They sell from $15 for a foreign knock off into the hundreds from common versions.

Seller described this phone as:  "This is a "WESTERN ELECTRIC" rather "hard-to-find" early Candlestick Telephone. It is a "16A" model, so designated in 1901. The difference in the "16A" and the "#10" style is the fact that there are 2 switchook contacts  instead of one in the "16A". Also there is a hole in the base for a transmitter "cutout" button. There is a mounting in the base for the button and switch which was never installed. The wood base plate is missing, but you can still see the remnants of wood stuck to the base edges. The Faceplate is a 7-digit number. Only one screw holding the cup on. Inside the base is the number "1390A". The Mouthpiece is heavy brass painted black. The "Pony" Receiver is without chips, cracks or markings. This Desk Stand was replaced probably in 1906 by the "10B" set."

The following images show other valuable sticks in decreasing price and the last one, that Blake Transmitter with a long pole receiver candlestick, if the real thing, is an open auction starting at $900 with no bids and 4 days to go. This will be an interesting auction to watch end.

Stubbypylon

"The following images show other valuable sticks in decreasing price and the last one, that Blake Transmitter with a long pole receiver candlestick, if the real thing, is an open auction starting at $900 with no bids and 4 days to go. This will be an interesting auction to watch end."

That Blake stick is a total repro.
Craig Stanowski

TelePlay

Quote from: Stubbypylon on December 29, 2017, 07:23:34 PM
That Blake stick is a total repro.

Thanks! I know nothing about wood stuff other than if it is real it can be worth money. No wonder no bids and not worth watching. Another buyer beware.