News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How does this Leich come apart?

Started by guitar1580, January 10, 2011, 05:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

This old cranker has been sitting on a shelf in the basement for a while.  It seems to be designed to use as either a desk set or as a wall phone.  It weighs alot, and has no grips or handles to pick it up without actually getting a hand under it.

I loosened the screw at the back of the base, but it seems the the crank  has to come off in order to pull the housing off.  The screw in mine seems too tight to remove, making me think it could be reverse threads possibly.  Seems too tight to turn either way without stripping it, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has pulled one of these apart, or mounted one on the wall.

Any info appreciated.

Josh P

Wallphone

That is a Leich (Like) 901. Give the crank handle a sharp rap CCW with the palm of your hand and it will (should) unscrew. If that don't work use a small rubber mallet.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: guitar1580 on January 10, 2011, 05:10:21 AM
I loosened the screw at the back of the base, but it seems the the crank  has to come off in order to pull the housing off.  The screw in mine seems too tight to remove, making me think it could be reverse threads possibly.  Seems too tight to turn either way without stripping it, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has pulled one of these apart, or mounted one on the wall.

I have the same phone and the same problem.  When I tried to loosen the screw in the center of the crank,  the tabs on the slotted screw started to separate. I put it back on the shelf to work on it another day.  Well, that was a couple years ago....

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

You are trying to remove the handle to the magneto, turn the handle backwards and unscrew the handle...Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Kidphone on January 11, 2011, 01:20:43 PM
You are trying to remove the handle to the magneto, turn the handle backwards and unscrew the handle...Doug

TA DA!  Success! 

That did it, one swift turn counter clockwise and it is off! 

Many thanks Doug!   This is why I LOVE this fourm.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Dennis Markham

Both Doug's were correct.  I think Wallphone suggested that yesterday.  ;D

Russ Kirk

I tried to quote both Dougs in my message,  but i guess I did not do the quotes correctly. Sorry,  didn't mean to slight anyone. Thansk to everyone!

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

guitar1580

Cool, I'll have to try that with mine this evening.

What about mounting it on a wall?  I don't see an easy way to do that.

Josh

Tribune

I'm not familiar with these phones, but if it is anything like the Northern Electric No.2 Uniphone it may screw to the wall through the feet once you've got the cover off.
Just a guess though without seeing a picture of it open, but the pic of the base suggests the possibility of feet with a centre hole -  I'm sure there's someone here who can tell you for sure.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

AE_Collector

Once the Magneto crank is removed isn't there a little screw in the back that holds the cover onto the base. Loosen it and the cover wil llift off and then you will see where you can put screws through the base into the wall. Then put the cover back on, snug up the little screw and spin the crank handle back into place.

Terry (Doug #3)