News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - September 2017

Started by AE_Collector, August 10, 2017, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - September 2017   ** VOTE FOR TWO **

Duffy's STC 1977 Silver Jubilee Deltaphone (Trimphone) from Thriftshop - Undisclosed $$
6 (20%)
dsk's 1921-1924 Norwegian Eliktrisk Beureau Oslo phone for 350 NOK = $45 US
5 (16.7%)
Pourme's 1965 green WECo 1500 from a collectible shop for $15.00
17 (56.7%)
Fabius' Cleveland Telephone Company employee badge. Bought on eBay with a buy it now of $30
4 (13.3%)
wds' little estate sale phone collection and parts for $6000 plus his cost to move it to my place
13 (43.3%)
zenithchromacolor's wood phone with an OST receiver purchased at an estate sale for $48
9 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 30

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Owain

Nominating Duffy's STC Silver Jubilee Deltaphone (Trimphone)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18789.0

Price: not stated, but probably a lot less than £300+ for which is showing on Ebay

Rarity: limited edition, possibly not many more than 10 ever made? And highly unusual outside the UK.

Quote from: Owain on September 07, 2017, 05:10:28 PM
Nominating Duffy's STC Silver Jubilee Deltaphone (Trimphone)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18789.0

Price: not stated, but probably a lot less than £300+ for which is showing on Ebay

Rarity: limited edition, possibly not many more than 10 ever made? And highly unusual outside the UK.

The one on eBay like mine just sold for 300 Pounds, $480.64 CDN or $396.58 USD

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Extremely-Rare-Prototype-1977-Silver-Jubilee-Trimphone-These-Were-Never-Issued-/182752119783?

dsk

My first phone this summer.  Nok 350  (us$ 45) and I have to pick it up not far from where my job is.

Not got it yet, so I have to wait and see.  Not many of these here, bought by the Oslo telephone company in 1921-24. most of them are modified with a front hook making the handset resting in horizontal position. This was done to get less problem with carbon clogging up in the transmitter. This one seems original, but the handset is missing. The phone is made in Norway, but the dial is foreign.

Discussion of this phone is at this topic:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8891.0

dsk

Pourme

I'd like to enter my "barn fresh" '65 WE 1500.

I found it during my first visit to a collectibles shop I visited in Blowing Rock, NC. for a mere $15.00.

http://tinyurl.com/ybl7v8o9

It is the early version with the "painted" face plate rather than the paper background. The number card is inserted from the back side rather than the insert in the front.

I didn't realize until I got it home that the handset contains light swirls from a lighter material from a previous color that didn't get properly purged from the system before this one was cast. Thus, making it even rarer than it would normally be on it's own. What a great find!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Fabius

My Cleveland Telephone Company employee badge. Bought on eBay with a buy it now of $30.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

I will make a last minute entry for the phone collection I purchased this week.  $6000 plus my moving costs which are approx $100 so far. 

Estate Sale
Dave

AE_Collector

Always a struggle with the FotM rules but since it isn't 100's of phones for $99 (absolute slam dunk) and as such the $6000 price would eliminate it as a Find for many members and since it was truly bought as one item even though it is many items, I am inclined to let it compete. One day we have to discuss the rules again to see if adjustments are needed.

PS: Here is the topic where the rules can be debated rather than here in this monthly topic.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5699.0

Terry

TelePlay

I'd like to nominate    zenithchromacolor's unknown but interesting wood phone with an OST receiver somewhat unique transmitter purchased at a collector's estate sale for $48.

The phone is discussed in this topic.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18929.0

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds on September 29, 2017, 02:58:42 PM
I will make a last minute entry for the phone collection I purchased this week.  $6000 plus my moving costs which are approx $100 so far. 

Estate Sale

Sorry, This is a Killer Deal, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=118.0   
Not a find of the month.
You can nominate 1 Item from the deal as a find of the month I suggest the AE.

Jim S.
BTW It is quite a Killer Deal, I have been there and I am very happy for you.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on September 30, 2017, 09:03:34 PM
Sorry, This is a Killer Deal, http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=118.0   
Not a find of the month.
You can nominate 1 Item from the deal as a find of the month I suggest the AE.

Jim S.
BTW It is quite a Killer Deal, I have been there and I am very happy for you.

I am re-thinking terminology . The deal is a killer deal. Whichever item you select as a find,  is the find.

I think the "the find" from a "killer deal" should be listed as  "The Cherry" when entered into the" find of the month", with this in mind, whenever some one gets a killer deal, the item that is the "Cherry" (for the collector) is the one that should be presented  for the Find of the Month.

Just my Opinion,
Jim S.
(Moderator for this board)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

I hear you a Jim....I had completely forgotten about the Killer Deal topic until John reminded me of it. Always hard to figure out what to do when a purchase is anything other than a single phone or phone related item (CRAP). One day we need to "sit down" and review the rules (yet again) to try to pin down how to handle this.

Meanwhile, wds' minor little collection of CRAP {(always liked this pneumonic of yours) "Communications Related Apparatus & Parts" for anyone new around here} is in the contest and it's TIME TO VOTE.

Two votes this month so pick your favourite two acquisitions from September.

Terry

AE_Collector

We're half way through the voting period for Septembers "Find of the Month".

If you haven't voted yet please check out this months contestants and place two votes for your favourites.

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay that's a wrap for September 2017's Find of the Month.

Pourme's 1965 green WECo 1500 that he found in a collectible shop for $15.00 has taken this months trophy. Apparently this shops pricing would have been $25 had it been a 2500 but only $5 if it were a 500. Fortunately it was a 1500! Congratulations Pourme!

wds' estate sale phone collection and parts for $6000 gave Pourme's 1500 some serious competition but in the end a slight majority of voters considered that they would likely be tossed out on a big heap of phone "CRAP" by their wives had they even considered something like wds' haul so instead they went with the more manageable 1500 set. Still, a nice haul wds! (I don't think we are going to hear much from wds for awhile!)

Fabius' Cleveland Telephone Company employee badge bought on eBay with a buy it now of $30 got him his usual last place award but don't despair Fabius..., it got votes!

Thanks to everyone who competed in the contest as well as everyone who voted.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:  --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:  --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Pourme

When I found this 1500 I held my composure while I paid the little lady her $15.00. When I got to the truck I squealed like a little girl at my good fortune!

Not one single person I know or see in my everyday walk of life has phoneitis or even cares about what cool phones I find. The best my wife can do is "that's nice".

As usual I can't wait to get it home, photograph it and share it with my friends Classic Rotary Phones Forum. It's rewarding to have someone to share the adventure of the hunt and the thrill of the find with, that appreciates the hobby as much as I do. Thank you all for providing that each day.

The fact that you , as a group, voted my find as Find of the Month, tells me you share at least some of the thrill that caused me to sequel in delight the day I discovered it!

Thank you!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service