News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

More Phone Atrocities

Started by tallguy58, October 23, 2014, 11:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Just when I thought lamp phones were bad enough, this comes along.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/napanee/birdhouse/1024458368?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

At least they found some good use.  Better than the dumpster.

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on October 23, 2014, 01:22:32 PM
I've been thinking the same thing.  Most of these would be in the land fill if they hadn't been made into lamps. I see it as a chance to "undo" the lamp part and restore it to its original glory, if possible.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: JimH on October 23, 2014, 01:44:22 PM
I've been thinking the same thing.  Most of these would be in the land fill if they hadn't been made into lamps. I see it as a chance to "undo" the lamp part and restore it to its original glory, if possible.
Yeah, you could make wood plugs or something. It would look very obvious, but, hey, better than an open hole!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 23, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
Yeah, you could make wood plugs or something. It would look very obvious, but, hey, better than an open hole!
I don't really see the point of restoring them either, unless it is an extremely rare set. Some have good parts that could be reused, sure, but there are many lamps that are quite decorative and deserve their own existence.

Most of these phones were frankly garbage when the next generation came along, it was like that then, and it is like that today when anything new comes to the market place.

TelePlay

I've been thinking the same thing.  Most of these would be in the land fill if they hadn't been made into lamps. I see it as a chance to "undo" the lamp part . . .

I think I missed something in this topic thread. All of these four are birdhouses. Totally gutted. Gongs are probably attached with glue or machine screws.

JimH

Quote from: TelePlay on October 23, 2014, 03:56:39 PM
I've been thinking the same thing.  Most of these would be in the land fill if they hadn't been made into lamps. I see it as a chance to "undo" the lamp part . . .

I think I missed something in this topic thread. All of these four are birdhouses. Totally gutted. Gongs are probably attached with glue or machine screws.
You're right, ok, birdhouses.  For some reason I kept thinking most people make lamps.
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

I saw these at a flea market during the summer. Must make some wooden wall phone collector somewhere cry...
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2014, 12:18:48 AM
I saw these at a flea market during the summer. Must make some wooden wall phone collector somewhere cry...

. . . and it certainly would make the person who converted these into birdhouses cry very hard if they knew how much  money they could have taken home by selling these as complete phones before they were stripped, drilled and pegged to make them into very expensive Waldorf Astoria birdhouses.

Then, again, maybe that's where all these stand alone magnetos and other wood phone parts come from that are listed on eBay.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on October 25, 2014, 07:29:27 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2014, 12:18:48 AM

. . . and it certainly would make the person who converted these into birdhouses cry very hard if they knew how much  money they could have taken home by selling these as complete phones
I don't think so, they were trying to sell them for hundreds of dollars!
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2014, 08:43:51 AM

Did they sell them? Did they sell even one? And if so, what did it sell for?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on October 25, 2014, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 25, 2014, 08:43:51 AM

Did they sell them? Did they sell even one? And if so, what did it sell for?
I've been to that flea market three times that summer, and the didn't sell even one! Also, I just realized that the prices in the picture were for $75 each. Still pretty high!
Christian Petterson

paul-f

The one on the left shows some good "outside the box" thinking. 

Turning it upside down makes the writing shelf a natural sun shade for the front porch.  Most phone collectors wouldn't have done it that way.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on October 25, 2014, 11:21:24 AM
The one on the left shows some good "outside the box" thinking. 

Turning it upside down makes the writing shelf a natural sun shade for the front porch.  Most phone collectors wouldn't have done it that way.
Because they only think of themselves, not of the other breeds in this world.

Wonder if these are actually two-story apartment complexes (town houses?), or simply second-entrance accommodations.

Greg G.

Proper birdhouses shouldn't have perches.  Birds don't need them, and they only serve as handholds for predators.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e