News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

King Koin Gumball Machine

Started by Doug Rose, October 18, 2015, 08:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up at a yard sale last week. It is very cool, but came with no key. Anyone have any ideas on a key that would fit?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

One of these, maybe?

Actually, they all kind of look the same but not really. Can you imaging being the coin collector for 100 machines having to go through all of those keys to find a fit.

If you do an eBay search for "King Koin Key" you will get hits. They don't show the keys, only the key in the lock, but maybe a seller would help you with how different or similar the keys are to these machines.

Must have gotten wet. Those gum balls sure expanded in size . . .  ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUMBALL-MACHINE-Candy-VENDING-TRADE-STIMULATOR-Lot-Of-74-KEYS/321894697003
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUMBALL-MACHINE-Candy-VENDING-TRADE-STIMULATOR-Lot-Of-40-Diff-KEYS/321894693997

Doug Rose

Great idea John!!!  I have contacted the seller...Doug
Kidphone

19and41

That'd look better with some appropriately sized clear marbles.  You might take it to a locksmith.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

I don't think a locksmith would cost effective as they are expensive. I might drill it out....Time is on my side, at least for now....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

My advice, for what it is worth, is not to drill until you at least check with a genuine old-time locksmith. A couple years ago, my wife inherited a footlocker, locked, no key. We took it to a locksmith - a genuine old-time locksmith, not an Ace Hardware key grinder. He probed around through the keyhole, ground a couple fit-check aluminum trial blanks until he had one that fit. Once he had a blank that fit, he formed the business end of a couple blanks until one popped the lock. Then he ground a couple steel keys from the aluminum trial key, and we were set to go. Took him about 20 minutes, start to finish.

I guess the point is that a real locksmith can handle a simple lock like yours quite easily. He probably already has a blank that will fit. It doesn't look unusual.

On the other hand, if you drill out the lock, you are left with an item that has a big hole where the lock should be. Not good.

Just my thought.

Bill

twocvbloke

Could that lock not be picked with paperclips then?

TelePlay

19and41

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 22, 2015, 10:32:19 PM
Could that lock not be picked with paperclips then?

Those use a key with 2 cut edges.  They aren't easy for just folks to pick.  I can do some with 1 cut edge, but that's about it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

John....no reply  >:(

Bill...I will check it out thanks ...Doug
Kidphone