News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 simple questions (I hope)

Started by captroosh, February 15, 2019, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

Ok showing my ignorance again.  Is the tube the black thing above the condenser.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

captroosh

Ok so if I follow those instructions on rewiring without a capacitor, I am assuming the tube stays in the circuit. Is that correct. Essentially I'm connecting wires from the cord to ringer and tip and bridging some connections on the tube. Just want to be sure I understand.
Capt. Roosh.

poplar1

That is correct.
"Tip" and "Ring" refer to the 2 sides of the telephone line -- i.e., the green and red wires in the cord going from the wall jack to the phone.

captroosh

OK on re-examination i found these markings on the front of the plastic housing. Also from what I can make out on the transformer it says IND-101-A and below that S-I (or the number 1)-45
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Ok I  have followed steps as pointed out in comment number 8 to no avail. The clapper did move a couple times but I was never able to get it to ring. Maybe I missed something. Is there a wiring Diagram? Just some notations on markings which a number of are in Pictures already posted. The Tube is a 372A the ringer was hard to read but said B3A I believe the transformer is 101AThe mounting code is H1. there is no speific model listed. Based on what I have found and have been told it is a Manual 306E. Still hoping to get this to ring. Would love to keep tube in the circuit. I could go th capacitor route but feel like I will be altering this to much. I want to keep it as close to original as possible. Any more thoughts.
Capt. Roosh.

poplar1

What kind of telephone line are you using? There is a minimum voltage required for the tube to fire, though I don't recall the threshold right now. Some of the newer equipment does not produce 90 Volts AC, which was standard for central office ringing.

captroosh

The phone is connected into a telephone jack on my router. I have 500 I have used there which works ok but obviously it doesn't have a tube. So that probably means nothing. I'm going to attempt a rewire again today see if I get any further.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Nothing like starting fresh. So I rewired. Found a helpful diagram in this thread
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3026.0 which made it a little clearer. Success of a sort. After changing polarity I managed to get the clapper to move back and forth rapidly just not striking the bells. Also yellow lead from tube must stay attached to L1 regardless of whether green or Red Cord. So you were right on point poplar1 about voltage . Of course I didn't test voltage level. Any possibility that there is an adjustment for the clapper?
Capt. Roosh.

Doug Rose

If the clapper is moving rapidly, just rotate the gongs closer to the clapper....Doug
Kidphone

captroosh

If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain' I get it. However not sure how to adjust bells. Sure I can figure it out now that I know they are adjustable. I'll let you know.
Capt. Roosh.

Doug Rose

Loosen the screws on the gongs and turn them until they get closer to the clapper, then tighten the screws..RING!!!....Doug
Kidphone

captroosh

Capt. Roosh.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

captroosh

Moved the bell. Determined  the clapper just doen't have the power. Once the bell touched the clapper it stopped moving. moved bell back was moving again. also checked the voltage at the line coming in it was about 48v constant then dropped to about 5v when the phone was trying to ring. So i know a bit more now but still stumped.
Capt. Roosh.