"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 35

Started by wds, April 11, 2015, 10:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on May 17, 2015, 08:27:29 AM
These phones are the same ones shown in Replies #12 and #13, and both have the "long" ringers.

Thanks for that. That is typical for a model 50 type AE 50. The Model 51 has the Type 45 high impedance ringer.

Jack

Greg G.

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 17, 2015, 03:22:54 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on May 17, 2015, 02:32:06 AM
From checking my pictorial inventory on my computer, 2 out of the 3 "jukeboxes" I have are 50s.  I can't tell about one because a previous owner rigged a ringer that didn't belong, and I didn't take a picture of the case except for the back.  I'll have to retrieve it from where ever I stashed it, they are stored in various places about the house.

Is there a number on the back?

Yes, here it is, along with a pic of the rigged ringer:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

Thanks for the info.

I think it originally had a black dial finger wheel, lettered number plate and Type 45 16Hz frequency ringer.

Jack

AE_Collector

It's a 50.

I always get a laugh when I see 50's opened up that way! The two screws need to back through the backplate and then unscrew the plunger assembly (along with the two big screws through the front) to lift the cover off!

Terry

wds

I picked up two more 35's, both from the same seller last week.  The dial number card is 53 on one, and 54 on the other.  I'm guessing these two phones have spent their entire lives together. 
Dave

wds

Finally got a chance to start cleaning them up, and here's some pictures of the first one - #54.  Amazing condition, the bakelite on the handset looks like new.  Original cloth cord labeled automatic electric.  Notice the numbers on the back - this one is numbered 9BC  L370  AO, and the other phone is numbered 9BA  L370  AO.  Both are SL ringers, so I have no idea why one is a "A" and the other is a "C"

I suppose it would be criminal to split them up now after all these years of being together.
Dave

wds

Here's the 2nd one, #53.  The bakelite on the shell is perfect, almost new looking. 
Dave

44lawrence

I was told AE replaced the 35 shell/case with 50's when damaged. I have a 35 with an old bakelite 50 shell.

MMikeJBenN27

What a shame.  I can't understand why so many refuse to properly pack what they sell.

Mike