News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1959 500 E/F

Started by DavePEI, August 12, 2015, 10:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I just wanted to show you the Northern Electric 500 E/F set just received from Doug, Autonut for $10 plus shipping. The 500 e/f differed from the standard 500 set by having an exclusion switch on the left hand hook switch button. You could lift the handset and listen, but the transmit audio and dialing were inhibited until the left hand hook button was pulled up.

It was the perfect phone for someone who was on a party line to have - they could listen in, and no-one could hear the background noise unless you pulled the switch up!

I still need to buff the case, but I have it working great, after replacing the handset cord (the original was open where it entered the handset), cleaning and lubricating the dial, and changing the ringer over to ring on a private line.

The final photo shows the extra exclusion switch.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Did Northern Electric actually ever deliver a 500E from the factory?
Western Electric did not.  The 500E was only available by conversion from the 500F.

These sets replaced the 302AA and 302AC.

I am looking for a spare P-19A410 exclusion switch assembly for a 502B in which it had been removed. The plunger is still there.
PS: actually the plunger switch from a 500F cannot be used with a 502, because the switch pileup is quite different.  The 500F only requires a single contact closure, it cannot be used as an exclusion switch.

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on August 12, 2015, 10:28:25 AM
Western Electric did not.  The 500E was only available by conversion from the 500F.

I am looking for a spare P-19A410 exclusion switch assembly for a 502B in which it had been removed. The plunger is still there.
I honestly don't know, but this looks to be factory. No sign of a later mod....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on August 12, 2015, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on August 12, 2015, 10:28:25 AM

I honestly don't know, but this looks to be factory. No sign of a later mod....

Dave

Well, yours is a 500F, so that is the factory version in any case.  A 500E would be created (in WECo land) in the telco shop by removing the dial and installing a blank.  There is no way one would really notice it afterwards and the shop would do professional work anyways.