News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't understand why this isn't considered a reproduction?

Started by rfkimba, January 14, 2018, 05:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Collectors,
I was under the impression that all real hubcaps have a white or whitish shade, or sloppy whitish porcelain  reverses. Jerry Williams posted on the ATCA public Facebook page on 1/13 of a Conestoga Tel 6"  hubcap for $1200 that shows a black or very dark blue reverse. Two well known collectors Tom Herwer and John Huckeby indicated their approval. Gregg has a photo in the Bell System Sign Types section of the identical sign minus the reverse.

Were some versions of  hubcaps made with dark blue reverses such as this one that Jerry insists is the real deal?
Any thoughts Greg?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

Sargeguy

Yes.  Especially oddball ones. Also, those guys have a lot more experience with old phones than I do.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

I would trust Jerry Williams opinion  of telephone signs. He has been a telephone sign collector for a very long time.
Just my Opinion,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I will say I think the sign is a bit over-priced.  The company is small but I have seen a few of these show up over the years.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I saw this sign in person at the last ATCA national show where Jerry had it on his table. With it's thick porcelain layers with noticeable difference between the two layers I think the sign is original. It is possible that since this company was not part of the Bell System they used the L&LD bell well past the introduction of the '21 bell.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Signguy

Never owned one of these signs but have seen a half dozen over the years. Heavy with good "shelving". All appeared to be definately legit. I did see an old  photo of one of these signs affixed to the  door of a telephone car, (not truck). Wonder if they could also have been attached off  to the side of a pay phone like some of the 5" SoCal. Probably to large to be put on the front body of the pay phone like SoCal.

Payphone installer

I have seen that sign sell for as much as 1,300.00 dollars.