News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using WE 500 as subset

Started by OldPhoneUser, March 25, 2018, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPhoneUser

because I like the clear ring of the 500 phones so much, I was hoping to get that ring on my 202 desk set. Got an old beat 500 that someone was throwing away, tried to swap just the bells onto a 302 ringer by drilling the bells with an offset screw hole. It did work. But the ring still wasnt quite as clear as when they in the 500. The 500 has a brass gong end maybe thats it or just the overall ring design.  I put the 302 back to original as this was just a test.

Just throwing this out there, I discovered that the nice 302 base cover I got wont fit the 500 base because the 500 base is too long, but is the right width, so it would be an option after removing the dial and making the changes to use it as a subset, can trim about 3/4" or so off the sheetmetal base, round the corners a bit, then the cover would seem to work find and you'd have a nice cheap nice ringing subset.

I dont condone destroying any good old phones, but there are lots and lots of 500's around in all kinds of states of disrepair, some of which could be "saved" by re-purposing in this way. Or some 500 bases may pop up on ebay as well.

The other option would be to move the entire 500 ringer into a 302 base but I don't like doing that to a 302 unless one appeared already with a missing ringer.

kleenax

I found these photos on eBay about 15 yrs ago (below) where someone (Bob Billiard I assume) made a wooden subset cover for a 500 base.  Note that in my opinion, the external brass bells are there only for looks; there doesn't seem to be a clapper for those external bells. Maybe to mimic an early wall-hanging wooden ringer?

I have toyed with the idea of making a cover for 500 bases like I did with the 302 "subset cover", but I'm afraid that time has past with the (near) death of the landline :-(
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

OldPhoneUser

Quote from: kleenax on March 25, 2018, 07:32:59 PMI have toyed with the idea of making a cover for 500 bases like I did with the 302 "subset cover", but I'm afraid that time has past with the (near) death of the landline :-(

I really don't think the time is past for this. Especially going by the activity on ebay for old phones which seem to fetch pretty good prices. My XLink BTTN unit or any of the other options makes old phones totally viable again. My xlink gives out the old fashioned dial tone, and does much more. In fact, I just accidentally learned this week that if I pick up a handset, and press the cradle switch one time, my android phone waits for a voice command!  That means I can pick up the 202 in the bedroom, do that, and say "call wifey" and it will do it. Pretty neat!

The unit also works with modern version on landline such as the cable company provides.

Can't wait to get the rest of the phones installed. Just waiting for oldphoneworks order to ship because that has the cloth cord etc in it.

AL_as_needed

Ditto on the XLink, been using mine for a few years now and its great. And yes, the voice commands are a fun addition. The 500 makes a great subset as the network is more advanced than the 302's and a bit more compact when used with the standard 500 ringer. Only difficult part is finding a suitable box to hide the magic in.
TWinbrook7

Greg G.

Quote from: AL_as_needed on April 01, 2018, 11:53:06 AM
Ditto on the XLink,...

Another ditto for the Xlink.  I don't currently use one because I still have a POTS line, but used to about 7 or 8 years ago.  I have a thread here somewhere about it.  I even ran my Panasonic 308 PBX through it.  I too have noticed the relatively "clunking" sound of a 302 base turned subset as compared to a nice, clear ring of a 500 set.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Plus the fact that you would be saving a lot of 500 bases from otherwise junker phones from going to the scrap heap.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

OldPhoneUser

I noticed that the beautiful repro subset cover would fit the 500 base if it were cut shorter. Another option would be to make a base as well as cover that can accept the 500's bells and any coil etc.  There must be an easy way to do this although the easiest would be to make the longer cover available, and have the nice ring. I also think I read someplace that the 500 electronics are a little 'better' in some way.

Quote from: Brinybay on April 30, 2018, 10:54:23 AM
Plus the fact that you would be saving a lot of 500 bases from otherwise junker phones from going to the scrap heap.