News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric glass front 240/Sunburst Tandem Restoration

Started by Sargeguy, June 28, 2018, 10:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The top half cleaned up nicely with some ethyl alcohol and steel wool. I had to rub some shellac onto the bare spots. The most invasive thing I did was bleach part of the arch at the top so that it would blend with the new wood.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The "German Silver" Local & Long Distance placard is a rare item found on large wooden phones of the 1890s.  This one is missing some paint but other wise polished up nicely
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotarDad

Looks great, Greg!  Awesome work on the restoration.  So your glass front is now placed on an ornate backboard with a Bell signage plate.  This is the likely configuration for an 1890s public-use phone in a high-end hotel or similar?
Paul

Sargeguy

Pretty much. I took two  :-*240s one that had been made Using a tandem top box,  and another that have been made using a tandem telephone with the incorrect top box, and made one whole glass front tandem.  I still don't have the original arm, a long number 242,  i'm using a standard 242 repro.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Back in the early years there were "Public Phones" that were available to subscribers when they were "out and about" and they could bill their home account.  "Pay Stations" were timed, either by an attendant or a clerk in the general store etc. where the phone was located. The majority Homes or standard two and three boxers.  Classier places would've had tandems and vanities.   Placing a telephone call was a much more complicated process than it is today. Many customers needed or expected somebody to assist them (and most proprietors did not want customers messing with their phones).  Having a glass front was part of the show.  In a darkened room you could see the sparks generated by the magneto through the glass door.  Eventually, as telephones moved from a high-end novelty item to serve a utilitarian function and coin collectors.were developed, this system was replaced by the self service pay station. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

What a transformation, although when you first pictured it it was quite nice. But wow, it looks awesome now.
And to have the history of where it would have been, and how it was used just makes it even better.
What a great find, and your hard work has made this come back to the way it used to look so long ago.
Nice work, you must be very proud of such a nice piece.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 22, 2018, 12:11:16 PM
Back in the early years there were "Public Phones" that were available to subscribers when they were "out and about" and they could bill their home account.  Pay Stations were timed, either by an attendant or a clerk in the general store etc. where the phone was located. The majority Homes or standard two and three boxers.  Classier places would've had tandems and vanities.   Placing a telephone call was a much more complicated process than it is today. Many customers needed or expected somebody to assist them (and most proprietors did not want customers messing with their phones).  Having a glass front was part of the show.  In a darkened room you could see the sparks generated by the magneto through the glass door.  Eventually, as telephones moved from a high-end novelty item to serve a utilitarian function and coin collectors.were developed, this system was replaced by the self service pay station. 
I have never thought of  telephones from such an early perspective. Telephones are very cool.
JMO,
JIm S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotarDad

Thanks, Greg, for the history.  Makes sense with the rise of the 3-slot starting in the 1910s, and eventually becoming the public phone standard.
Paul

Sargeguy

Wood has been cleaned on the top section, bottom needs work.  I don't want to strip it and lose the patina but it is a little dark, water stained.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Wood work is finished, wiring is next
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Key2871

All I can say is WOW. And that doesn't come close to how nice it looks.
KEN