News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Smallest Bakelite Repair

Started by FABphones, October 15, 2018, 09:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I have a backlog of about half a dozen phones in various states of disrepair whilst I wait for a delivery of parts and potions (as recommended to me in strictest confidence, to shine up Bakelite) so in the meantime a few smaller repairs are receiving my attention.

This is a French E1 style handset, over 80 years old, which arrived in a joblot. Crack to transmitter endcap with a tiny piece missing. After cleaning, the crack received a dab or two of superglue to the inner and the missing piece was filled with my favourite Milliput epoxy putty. Just needs my 3 day beauty treatment oiling now...

No job too small.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Nick in Manitou

HarrySmith

Potions? To shine up bakelite? I hope you will share this potion & process with us!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks guys. It's not perfect, cracks are darned tricky, but this tidies it up a bit and adds a bit of strength to the damaged area. And the epoxy putty fill itself isn't that obvious to the untrained eye.

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 16, 2018, 12:07:56 PM
Potions? To shine up bakelite? I hope you will share this potion & process with us!

Yeeess.....  I have been actively trying to find out how those 'high shiners' get their gleaming Bakelite results for some months now. Someone finally gave in, told me their method and swore me to absolute secrecy whilst doing so. I've got all of the bottles of lotions and potions ;D on order to try the process out for myself.

But, I have to confess I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet. I have rather a lot of recommended lotions and potions now, none of them quite giving the desired results...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

OK. Yes, there numerous methods out there for shining bakelite, some work & some don't. There is one seller on eBay that always has a mirror shine on all his bakelite, I have asked him the secret but he is not ginving it up. Several on here have had good results with different methods. Try them all & use what works for you!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"