News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Story of my $50 Minty Blue 302

Started by Doug Rose, October 15, 2018, 01:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

We had a few Blue 302s on eBay lately, here is how I got mine.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3704.msg49177#msg49177

I paid $1000 for it on eBay BUT

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3542.msg47139#msg47139

a few weeks earlier Jan and I found a Heywood Wakefield wicker victrola at a yard sale in Framingham. Jan didn't want it, we had too much sh*t in the house and she went to the SUV. A few minutes the owner and I come up the driveway  with it on a dolly.

He wanted $100, I got it for $50. Jan was not upset I got it and we barely fit it into the SUV. Barely, we had to go home to drop it off.

It was in remarkable condition. It played but did not keep going the whole record. I posted it on eBay for $149 with no BIN and everyone on the Forum explained it was a really nice name and I was a dope.

I reposted it at a BIN for $1200, if memory serves. This was back in the day when you could message sellers through email .

Push comes to shove we were offered 1K for it. I jumped at it. Buyer picked it up with a huge truck of all the purchases in the area a week later.

Next week the Blue 302 came on eBay, quick call to Jan to see if she approved...she did and it is history. Check out the link to the Victrola, I said I would trade it for a nice Blue 302. I did ,,,,BUT I got a minty Blue 302 instead!

That is how I got a $50 Minty Blue 302....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

I wasn't a member when this took place. Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing, Doug!

BTW....VERY nice Blue 302!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Thanks Benny.....seams like you have been here forever. It was a very fortunate turn of events. I was lucky as it came on eBay very early in the morning and I start work at 7AM EST. I had a little bit of an edge. I am always early....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Great story Doug. I've always been a fan of wheeling & dealing to get something I can't afford. Really good way to get a beautiful phone.
Gary

RotarDad

I second that Gary!  Doug's story is a great example of getting what you want even if you wouldn't otherwise be able, or willing, to spend the "market price".  And that is one nice blue 302, making the story even better...
Paul

Doug Rose

Gary/Paul....it seems like it was so long ago, but it was only eight years ago. I can still remember the excitement of finally getting a phone I had wanted for so long. Opening that box my hands were shaking. As I found the hard way with the Red AE 40, some sellers just don't get it even with detailed instructions.

Everything just fell into place. If Jan had said no, it would not have happened so I give her a lot of credit. Allowing a full room for telephones in her house is "very" understanding.....Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

Doug - The relationship part of your story is a big deal.  You asked, and would have accepted a "no" answer.  Jan realized how important this was to you, and gave you the green light.
Paul

Pourme

~

Your story had the perfect and most desirable ending. Jan shares your passion for the hobby, mine does not, she tolerates it. No way my wife would endorse the use of the money gained from the transaction to be invested in a single phone. All the more reason I admire Jan and her dedication to the hobby!

In fairness to my wife, I have never sold any of my phones. I have never made a nickle from the hobby, only spent money. There is a difference in our situations in that respect.

Benny

FABphones

Quote from: Pourme on October 20, 2018, 02:14:37 PM
~
...I have never made a nickle from the hobby, only spent money...

Snap!  :-\  :) 
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: Pourme on October 20, 2018, 02:14:37 PM
Your story had the perfect and most desirable ending. Jan shares your passion for the hobby, mine does not, she tolerates it. No way my wife would endorse the use of the money gained from the transaction to be invested in a single phone. All the more reason I admire Jan and her dedication to the hobby!

In fairness to my wife, I have never sold any of my phones. I have never made a nickle from the hobby, only spent money. There is a difference in our situations in that respect.

Benny ...other end is I have never paid  for a phone in my collection. Everything was paid for by selling phones. Almost 40 years of selling telephones. Bought a few as well!

Paul...yes....my wife is key....lately she finds more phones than I do, she is understanding of my hobby and knows selling telephones is a wonderful second job ......for both of us...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 20, 2018, 07:09:00 PM
Benny ...other end is I have never paid  for a phone in my collection. Everything was paid for by selling phones. Almost 40 years of selling telephones. Bought a few as well!

Well....I knew you bought phones & I knew you sold phones. I didn't put 2 + 2 together and realize that. That is wonderful. I had always intended to sell some phones but once I own them I don't want to give them up. You have been at this much longer than I, and have it down to a science, I am envious.
Benny

Partyline4

Wish you didn't pull the plug on eBay, though Doug. I enjoyed watching some of the auctions. I just never liked selling on craigslist, personally...Too much wish wash.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on October 20, 2018, 08:43:29 PM
Well....I knew you bought phones & I knew you sold phones. I didn't put 2 + 2 together and realize that. That is wonderful. I had always intended to sell some phones but once I own them I don't want to give them up. You have been at this much longer than I, and have it down to a science, I am envious.

The best way to get a really nice collection is to sell items to generate the cash for the good stuff. Most collectors with really nice collections have built them buy selling telephones.
All my telephones have been paid for by selling telephones.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Agreed. 100%...Buying an expensive phone doesn't hurt when you are not using your own money....it's just a trade.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Jim S. on November 05, 2018, 10:32:48 AM
The best way to get a really nice collection is to sell items to generate the cash for the good stuff. Most collectors with really nice collections have built them buy selling telephones.
All my telephones have been paid for by selling telephones.
JMO,
Jim S.

I agree this is a nice way to pay for a phone collection, but, just my thoughts on this, I think the collectors market is bigger in the US/Canada. More collectors, and probably more choice of phones (phones from your side of the Atlantic to the UK incur high shipping fees and customs duty), and more of each (not all) type even. The UK market I think is fairly slow, I see the same phones listed over and over. Some sellers ask silly prices for fairly commonplace phones. There was one recently, not a single part of the phone wasn't broken, from the endcaps to the dial. Seller wanted about £50 it. At the other end of the scale we don't see the £1000+ auctions you do either. Or phone shows, or yard sales...

I think it would be harder in the UK to own a nice self sufficient collection. Not impossible, but it might take some years to achieve.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble