News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

So just purchased a pani 61610.

Started by robert_m, January 15, 2019, 11:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_m

After all the nighmares on rotary to tone and reading the forums, I purchased a pani 61610, after reading online manual i hing their has to be one KX-T61630, is this correct to program it?  All rest can be SLT / antique t/r phone, if im understanding all the forum posts.  Hope i didnt buy wrong KSU on eBay.

Butch Harlow

There are a few compatible options with the 616. I have a KX-T7731 and it works great. I have only used it to set the date and time really. Haven't explored much else. However, if I hook up a bunch of vintage phones the 7731 loses power. I assume its because the vintage phones use more power than the switching system can give. It seems to like intercom position 19.
Butch Harlow

twocvbloke

The KX-T7130 is also a suitable phone for programming the system, has more CO buttons than the system has lines, but works fine... :)

jsowers

Quote from: Butch Harlow on January 16, 2019, 02:06:21 AM
There are a few compatible options with the 616. I have a KX-T7731 and it works great. I have only used it to set the date and time really. Haven't explored much else. However, if I hook up a bunch of vintage phones the 7731 loses power. I assume its because the vintage phones use more power than the switching system can give. It seems to like intercom position 19.

In your "bunch of phones" are there any older Trimlines or Princess phones? I ask that because they use the yellow and black conductors for a lamp and that effectively shorts out your yellow and black conductors on the Panasonic, so that could make the programming phone quit working. Don't they use those conductors for power or something? On Princesses and round button Trimlines it would be best to use two-conductor mounting cords if possible when you use a Panasonic, or an adapter that strips away the yellow and black so you can use a transformer.

I had a working Panasonic for a while, until it quit, and even plugging those incandescent lamp phones into it with no programming phone would cause strange things to happen, so I didn't leave them plugged in. So I always think about that combination and wonder if others had the same problem. I always make my Princess and Trimline lamps work when I go through them after purchase and others may not.
Jonathan

FABphones

Quote from: jsowers on January 16, 2019, 09:14:36 AM
In your "bunch of phones" are there any older Trimlines or Princess phones? I ask that because they use the yellow and black conductors for a lamp and that effectively shorts out your yellow and black conductors on the Panasonic, so that could make the programming phone quit working...

Thanks for the info. Once again, I have learnt something new. I have each of those and should I find myself a Panasonic or similar, I would have 100% plugged them in at some point.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Butch Harlow

In your "bunch of phones" are there any older Trimlines or Princess phones? I ask that because they use the yellow and black conductors for a lamp and that effectively shorts out your yellow and black conductors on the Panasonic, so that could make the programming phone quit working.

No, thank goodness. I hadn't thought of that. I would expect that the 616 doesn't create the voltage for the light, and may possibly short the unit altogether. I have mostly B1, D1 sets with 634 subsets and 302s on it and the occasional 500 set for testing. I was thinking the subsets pull a good bit of power to the ringer. The 7731 cuts out on incoming call and won't come back until unplug a few phones. It works great with 6 phones now, any more and I get the problem.
Butch Harlow

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I don't know these systems and their differences that well so am asking the question.

Wasn't the 7731 made for and used with the newer Panasonic Advanced Hybrid KX-TA824 Analog PBX systems and as such, is it totally compatible with the older Panasonic KX-T616/308 PBX systems? And as such, might a 7731 may act or react "differently" on a 616 than a 7130 phone would?

This topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.0

lists the 616/308 compatible phones but unbeldi is no longer around to address/update the issue of using KX-T equipment on a KX-TA system.

If anyone want to update that page, the link above, send me the information in a PM and I will add it to the list or create a new section for the KX-TA equipment.

robert_m

In your "bunch of phones" are there any older Trimlines or Princess phones? I ask that because they use the yellow and black conductors for a lamp and that effectively shorts out your yellow and black conductors on the Panasonic, so that could make the programming phone quit working. Don't they use those conductors for power or something? On Princesses and round button Trimlines it would be best to use two-conductor mounting cords if possible when you use a Panasonic, or an adapter that strips away the yellow and black so you can use a transformer.

I had a working Panasonic for a while, until it quit, and even plugging those incandescent lamp phones into it with no programming phone would cause strange things to happen, so I didn't leave them plugged in. So I always think about that combination and wonder if others had the same problem. I always make my Princess and Trimline lamps work when I go through them after purchase and others may not.

Yes, older trimlines and princesses ues the yellow / black pair for 9vac, and yes im well are of this.  theirs a simple adapter is all you need for "that" problem, or just create your own line cord.  Round button trimlines had ac adapter, the square ones shoul dbe green LED and line powered.  princesses used transformer, however not the signature proincess does not need the transformer if you do not what a "night lite", but should be only connected with pair one (green/red) to any pbx (my present merlin uses the other pairs as well, but the pots board does not they dont have yellow/black wired on the jacks.)

poplar1

The modular single-line Princess telephone sets (702BM, 2702BM, 2702BMG) use yellow and black for the lamp since there are only 4 conductors in the 623P line jack. (Red and green for dial tone.)

Hardwired Princess and Trimline sets had 5-conductor mounting cords (line cords). These use black and *white* for the lamp, red and green for dial tone, and the yellow wire connects to the black ringer wire, just as it does in hardwired 500s. For single party lines, the green and yellow wires of the mounting cord were connected to the same terminal on the wall connecting block.
(On party lines, it was accepted practice to share the Y terminal of the connecting block for both  one side of the transformer output and also ground for grounded ringing.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

robert_m

Quote from: TelePlay on January 16, 2019, 11:39:07 AM
     Regular Member Post

I don't know these systems and their differences that well so am asking the question.

Wasn't the 7731 made for and used with the newer Panasonic Advanced Hybrid KX-TA824 Analog PBX systems and as such, is it totally compatible with the older Panasonic KX-T616/308 PBX systems? And as such, might a 7731 may act or react "differently" on a 616 than a 7130 phone would?

This topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16290.0

lists the 616/308 compatible phones but unbeldi is no longer around to address/update the issue of using KX-T equipment on a KX-TA system.

If anyone want to update that page, the link above, send me the information in a PM and I will add it to the list or create a new section for the KX-TA equipment.

I found this link on internet that says what phones "Would Work" weather accurate or not i would not know as i dont have the system or the phone yet....

http://www.voicesonic.com/panasonic/Panasonic-Phone-Compatibility-Matrix-Oct-8-10.html

poplar1

With the default programming, you won't need a proprietary Panasonic electronic set. The following features are default (factory programming):

2-digit dialing (11 thru 26) from/to any phone

Dial 9 for first available outside line, or, to choose a specific line: 81 for 1st line, 82 for 2nd, ... 86 for 6th, etc.

All phones ring on incoming call on the outside line. Any phone can answer the call, then transfer it to another extension.

Perhaps the first thing you might program (if you have a proprietary Panasonic telephone) is to change the ringing so that 16 phones won't ring for an incoming call!....
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

robert_m

Im planning on hooking my ooma line as the co line, is their a specific programing need to forget 9, hence convert rotary to tone and go right out as tt on the ooma line?

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: robert_m on January 17, 2019, 11:38:58 PM
I found this link on internet that says what phones "Would Work" weather accurate or not i would not know as i dont have the system or the phone yet....

http://www.voicesonic.com/panasonic/Panasonic-Phone-Compatibility-Matrix-Oct-8-10.html

I've found that Voicesonic seems to be the place to go, the experts for this stuff so if they say it will work, it will. A lot of the manuals on the forum have been downloaded from them as well.

oldguy

The 616 I have connected to my display works fine in the default mode.
Gary

Doug Rose

Gary....that how I use mine, here is a soft manual....Doug
Kidphone