News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Putting phone refurbishing skills to other uses

Started by paul-f, April 18, 2010, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

It turns out that the techniques we develop while refurbishing phones are transferrable skills that have applications in many other areas of life.

For example, one of my family tasks today was repairing our workhorse toaster that's done yeoman service for many years.

When I had it apart and was scraping out decades of packed crums from nooks and crannies inside the case, my thoughts turned to telephones -- and scraping out wasp nests and other disgusting stuff inside filthy housings.  In fact, the amplifier box for my 1A speakerphone came complete with a mouse nest made with straw from the barn it had been stored in.  But I digress.

There was a layer of grunge on the toaster's top between the slots that was dark brown and had the feel of varnish.  It didn't respond at all to usual household cleaners.

About this time, it occurred to us that the toaster was a gift from friends in the mid to late 1960s.  It really deserved better treatment than it's had the last few decades.  So, in recognition of so many years of faithful service, we gave it the full treatment.  I made a trip to the workbench to get some favorite refurbing tools, the Novus cloth and some metal polish. 

Using the same skills honed on loads of telephones, here are the results. 

(No, I'm not going to collect toasters.)

Anyone else find other uses for telephone repair skills?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

Paul:

Outstanding job on the toaster. I am sure it will continue to give you excellent service for decades to come.

Actually, a lot of the things I learned taking care of automobile finishes I have been able to use in phones. When I was in high school, I used to work in a transmission repair shop. Once in a while a wrecked car (still fixable) would come by and we would spend some time making it look nice. That would involve painting and polishing.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Paul;
It looks like new.
I was very fortunate to have the type job I did all my life, a Millwright, that means I'[m suppose to be able to do all phases of a job from Design, modifications, fabrications, installations and then repairs if needed. So I like to say, I spent 35 years preparing myself for retirement.
Plus the one thing my Dad taught me, "You learn more with your mouth shut, than  you do with it open, ask questions at the right time, and pay attention."
Thanks Dad.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Of course, the other side of the equation is what transferrable life skills we bring to telephone refurbishing.

I'm sure I also learned a lot from my father, who was raised during the depression and became a chemical engineer and constant tinkerer.  Reusing, repairing and recycling were a normal part of life in our house.  When things were beyond repair, they were disassembled and the parts sorted into glass jars (reused, of course) for future repairs.  I still have many of the jars of parts Dad collected.  Many of the screws have found their way into 1930s vintage phones I've repaired over the years.

Coincidentally, I had summer jobs as a millwright's assistant while in college.  Learned a lot there also, and developed a lot of respect for the trade.  The old hands had lots of fun challenging the new kid with projects like drilling mounting holes with countersinks in quarter inch thick stainless steel diamond plate.

Dan/Panther

A true story here. When I first applied for the job at General Motors, they gave us a test that they were trying out for new hires. They said the test had no bearing on whether we got the job or not, they just wanted us to give them feedback. One of the questions I didn't have a clue to the answer.

#26- How do you measure log chain ?

They wanted to know how you determined what size chain you were using or needed to order. I didn't know, was it the length of the link, diameter of the stock used to fabricate the link, ???
So I wrote, ( and keep in mind the original question ) ....With a tape measure.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Fantastic work on that toaster!  I've seen those models from time to time in the antique and misc shops we frequent.  I have a toaster from my folks from the 70's, but it's not nearly as interesting visually.

I've found that a fair amount of life skills transfer to my phone hobby, especially auto work, and especially auto body work.  That said I've also learned things about plastic refurbing that I never knew before, I would have been horrified to see someone sand a CD a few years ago and claim that they could make it better, but now I do it every so often using the same process I've used on many a phone shell and it actually does work better when I'm done.

AET

I have one similar, but a bit more recent, a proctor silex.  

http://www.jackbergsales.com/appliances/4_slice_toaster.JPG
- Tom

Jim Stettler

My dad was a sucker for old toasters. He liked the ones from the early electric models. that he could buy for 2.00 or less at yard sells. If they were electrically safe he would give them to friends, He made some flip style into napkin holders (no cord).

Back in the 'good old days' , Electric toasters toasted bread 1 side at a time, you had to time the process, and then flip the bread, Good Toast was a household "Art  form" you had to adjust your timing based on the type and age of your bread.
Before that you had the camp-style  toaster for home use. Those are the metal frames that you can put over a gas burner and burn your bread.
Electric toasters were a vast improvement.

Dad was very proud of his skill in making toast.
Once he started buying toasters, he did use them. He felt that the toast tasted better because of the time invested in making it. I think he just liked making toast.
Jim

When he originally reached 5 toasters, I pointed out that he was collecting them. I think at that point he realised why I collected telephones.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Phone refurbishing skills?  My usual m.o. is take it apart and leave it for a month or two, then ask somebody how to put it back together, is that a skill?

Here's my toaster:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

That's kind of ironic that you say that Kenny.  My blender was bought because it matches my Avocodo green 1979 Buick, and the toaster was bought to match my 87 Chevy Station Wagon :)

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 19, 2010, 11:35:28 PM
it is like a toaster station wagon
- Tom

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on April 20, 2010, 03:08:58 AM
Phone refurbishing skills?  My usual m.o. is take it apart and leave it for a month or two, then ask somebody how to put it back together, is that a skill?
<snip>

That sounds too familiar.  Usually after taking it apart I start three or four new projects.  Then I spend several days trying to remember which parts go with which project.  After something's back together, it's always interesting to see whether it seems to work without the left-over parts still on the workbench.  (Maybe they were from a different project.)

Bill Cahill

I'm trying to get out of the habit of too many projects apart.
I have been refurbishing some of my plastic, and, bakelite radio, and, phonograph cabinets with what I've learned here.
Also, it's been helping me do a better job polishing chassis' I'm restoring.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

It might be a good idea to move the toaster power cord off of the stove burner before you boil your next kettle of water.  Just a suggestion :).

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 20, 2010, 11:21:04 AM
Briny,

It might be a good idea to move the toaster power cord off of the stove burner before you boil your next kettle of water.  Just a suggestion :).

Larry

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed.  Not to worry, I rarely use the stove top anyway.  For that matter, I rarely use the toaster either.  It's been that way ever since I discovered that the best way to keep the kitchen clean is to never use it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e