News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first 554, or is it?

Started by Greg G., May 09, 2011, 01:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My brother had some phones he got from a friend and passed them on to me.  Among them was this one.  I only took a quick look at the back and saw the stamped number "228", and date of 4-77, and a handwritten date of 5-8-84.  I could tell it had been to the factory for a repaint job, the handset and caps were a different original color.

When I got it home, I tested it and it fully functions.  I took the cover off and saw a 1958 network and a 1957 dial.  Upon closer examination, I noticed that what I thought was the base plate was apparently an adapter held on to the base plate by a couple screws, so I removed it and by golly, the base plate is marked 554.

But why the Northern Electric cover?  It has a WE handset.  So is this a WE or NE, or a WE with an NE cover?  What?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

Your phone was assembled by a refurbishing house from whatever parts they had.  There have been posts in the past about other such phones.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Greg, as Larry said it was refurbished at least once.  The 228 modular back plate is  later add-on to allow the phone to be hung on a modern wall jack.  Yours appears to be missing the sliding modular plug that fits in the rectangular space on the back.  Phoneco had that part on their web site for a few bucks.

It appears as though originally the phone was black, based upon the -3 marking on the back of the dial.  Is that a soft plastic housing?  I can't see a date in the photo.  The earlier housings were stamped along an inside edge, later ones had the date molded into the plastic.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 09, 2011, 09:00:44 AM
Greg, as Larry said it was refurbished at least once.  The 228 modular back plate is  later add-on to allow the phone to be hung on a modern wall jack.  Yours appears to be missing the sliding modular plug that fits in the rectangular space on the back.  Phoneco had that part on their web site for a few bucks.

It appears as though originally the phone was black, based upon the -3 marking on the back of the dial.  Is that a soft plastic housing?  I can't see a date in the photo.  The earlier housings were stamped along an inside edge, later ones had the date molded into the plastic.

The date stamp on the housing is 72.  As it is, it's going to the show with me to try to sell for cheap, 554s don't particularly rotate my dial.  Among the other phones I got from him was a 6-55 500 that was converted to modular.  I already have a similar mod 500 with a very clean 52 base and inner workings that I intended to "de-modularize", but that one may go with me too.  Thinning the herd.
- Mike Row
e