News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Touchtone Dial Unit

Started by Kenton K, July 17, 2016, 03:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I got a stand alone dial unit in a lot I bought recently. I think it was used for people who wanted to keep their rotary phones, but wanted touch tone functionality. Pretty cool!

Victor Laszlo

I'm afraid that your explanation is a bit romantic.  The 1035 adjunct was used to allow users who were stuck with rotary service to access long-distance service and to use end-to-end signalling services.  Many RBOC's were reluctant to provide DTMF PBX's until the subscriber cried loudly enough. By that time, in many cases, the subscriber had outlasted the RBOC and had bought a new PBX from a competitor.

WEBellSystemChristian

I have a late '70s version of what you have. Mine is actually hooked up to a modular Black 500, and has the later 'Oper' keypad.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Haha, sounds more reasonable. So it was used in conjunction with rotary dials though, right?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kenton K on July 17, 2016, 03:56:04 PM
Haha, sounds more reasonable. So it was used in conjunction with rotary dials though, right?
Yes, The TT dial adjuncts were used to access DTMF services. There were various services that could be accessed this way.  Some services let you use a rotary phone and (I think) the code was 010(*) and 011(#).

Jim S.

Banking, info services voice mail ect
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

b3tamax11

I've seen similar models online that were used with the US military Autovon system.

SUnset2

I remember the Sears store in what is now Shoreline, WA having one of those pads on each telephone at the cashiers stations.  They were in GTE territory, which didn't get touch-tone service until pretty late.  I think they used them to check credit card numbers or something like that.

Dan/Panther

I found one of those awhile back. How do you wire them in so I can use it with my rotary phones ?
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Stan S

Dan

I'm sure if you search the TCI Library you will find many very complex BSPs that will show how to wire every model adjunct Touch Tone pad (both 10 and 12 button) to probably every model phone Western Electric ever manufactured, up to and including PBXs. Could be a fun project if you have loads of free time on your hands and nothing better to do.

If this is not the case, you might want to try doing it this way.
See below.
Stan S.

Stan S

I forgot.
If the pad doesn't make tones, reverse the tip and ring. Or, if you want to get really fancy you can put a diode bridge  (polarity guard in 'phone speak') at the input to the pad.
Stan S.

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 18, 2016, 11:57:42 AM
I found one of those awhile back. How do you wire them in so I can use it with my rotary phones ?
Dan

This link

http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html

was posted in this topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.msg73200#msg73200

four years ago. The topic has other ways to wire a TT dialer so can be used with any phone. Been a while since I read either so you'll have to figure that out by yourself.

stub provided this comment

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.msg73211#msg73211

and other replies in that topic dealing with the connectivity issue.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Stan S on July 18, 2016, 01:39:57 PM
I forgot.
If the pad doesn't make tones, reverse the tip and ring. Or, if you want to get really fancy you can put a diode bridge  (polarity guard in 'phone speak') at the input to the pad.
Stan S.

Thanks appreciate it.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AdamAnt316

Quote from: b3tamax11 on July 17, 2016, 11:00:34 PM
I've seen similar models online that were used with the US military Autovon system.

Yeah, that one's mine. Found it at a flea market several years back for all of $10. Neat little contraption, though I have yet to figure out how to connect it to one of my phones (I've seen diagrams like the one above, but have yet to figure out how to translate it to the adjunct I have). Fun fact: there were adjuncts made with rotary dials installed, apparently for use with AUTOVon phones which were used on systems which weren't entirely able to be controlled by DTMF: