News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lightening and telephone stories.

Started by dsk, February 16, 2019, 06:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

You are very lucky to still have a cabin..
Wow, that is a direct strike for sure, though the damage was bad you did get of easy. It could have taken everything.
I hope everything is better grounded now, I know putting ground on rock isn't easy. We use two ground rods on service spaced three feet apart on entrances now around these parts.
I see it took both fuses, I see another one in the bottom of the cabinet that looks cooked as well.

Ken
KEN

dsk

I did measure over, all except 1 circuit had no shorts, so I replaced 1 service fuse, one meter fuse where the porcelain was like melted, and the main fuse in the cabinet indoors, and used it until the electrician came and repaired everything. He suggested to keep those old fashioned fuses, better if the lightning strikes again he said..
The man from the insurance had never seen someone with that luck :-)

dsk

Key2871

Twenty five years ago, heck probably about thirty years ago, when I was working at a hardware store, late in the day we had a very severe storm come up.
My wife was staying at my moms house, and I tried calling but only got a busy signal. Right after work I went to see if she was OK, she was scared to death because of very near strike, it made junk out of a cheap phone my mom had in the house, it busied out the line so no body could call in or out.
Later that night, we were at home, another storm came up, just as bad as the one in the afternoon, this time it struck the train station across the street and down the road slightly.
Started a fire that severely damaged the building. And took several phone's out in the vicinity. The next day we had many people come in looking for phones to replace the ones that stopped working from the night before..

So yea, I'd say you were very lucky indeed that all you lost was a couple phones and a tapestry. It could have been your cabin.
KEN