"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chicago snow

Started by MagicMo, February 17, 2014, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on February 19, 2014, 06:29:15 AM
Had to cancel an appointment in town - the plows haven't even gone by and the road is plugged with ten inches of snow and further drifting. It is showing no signs of letting up. Did I ever say I hate winter?

Dave

Its not done with us yet! Plows finally got down the road around 10 am, and not they are forecasting another 15 to 20 tonight and tomorrow, then Friday, more snow! Darndest is they rescheduled my appointment for today for Friday morning at 7:30 -- from the sounds of this forecast, I may not make it then, either! Can't win!

Feb 18, 2014 - 6:30 a.m. temperature minus 13 c., 8.6 f. Today, mainly sunny. Wind northwest 20 km/h becoming light this morning. High minus 7 c., 19.3 f. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight, increasing cloudiness. Snow beginning overnight. Amount 20 cm. Wind south 20 km/h becoming east 30 gusting to 50 overnight. Low minus 12 with temperature rising to minus 4 c., 24.8 f. by morning.

Feb 19, 2014 - 6:30 a.m. temperature minus 2 c., 28.4 f. Today, snow ending this morning then cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud near noon. Amount 10 to 20 cm except 2 cm over northern sections. Wind east 20 km/h becoming northeast 20 gusting to 40 early this morning then light near noon. High plus 1 c., 33.8 f. Tonight, becoming cloudy this evening. Periods of light snow beginning before morning. Wind becoming southeast 20 km/h near midnight. Low minus 3 c., 26.6 f.

Feb 20, 2014 - 6:30 a.m. temperature minus 1 c., 30.2 f. Snowfall warning in effect. Today, snow ending late this morning then cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Risk of freezing rain early this morning. Snowfall amount 10 to 15 cm. Local blowing snow. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming northwest 40 gusting to 60 near noon. High zero c., 32 f. Tonight, clearing this evening. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming west 20 gusting to 40 overnight. Low minus 6 c., 21.2 f.

Friday..Increasing cloudiness. Periods of snow beginning early in the evening. Amount 2 cm. Wind becoming southeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 late in the afternoon. High minus 1.

Argggh! There's only one fellow enjoying this snow, a seal crossing the snow on the field next to us late yesterday! We figure this fellow got landlocked by the amount of ice in the Bay. He is likely looking for some open water. This is a good 1/2 mile from the shore. Other way, little guy!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 19, 2014, 07:14:34 PMI understand the jet stream that causes the US Midwest/eastern snow storms causes The excessive rain in the UK.  At the same time is causes the lack of rain and droughts in California/western US.

That's pretty much it, all the "used" clouds coming out of the US and Canada are turning into some pretty bad storms over the Atlantic, and the way the jet stream is directed is pulling it all towards our country, creating warm and wet weather that's causing havoc over here, makes me wonder if we'll have snow in August with everything going to pot... :o

TelePlay

It's what, in the Chicago area this morning?

Snow? Sleet? Rain? Slush? Black Ice?

Got it all this morning.

And at 5 pm, the morning storm moved east (sorry Dennis) and a second round of rain, snow and freezing temperatures is turning the upper Midwest into a literal ice cube.

And 12 hours later, it's the never ending February weather event. Hey, it's the upper Midwest in winter, this is really expected every year. It's the years it doesn't snow that are the exceptions to winter.